• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Todd Gurley has been suspended

....even jury duty is $30. bucks a day. (should be minimum wage scale) NCAA should give them at least 1k a month. (but player sigs would be at least $100.bucks)

:cheer2:

Free tuition, but they should be allowed to make supplemental income.

I say... give them a choice: no free ride scholarships and get loans like the rest of us and have the ability to make supplemental income - OR - free ride scholarship and no supplemental income.

Although I played small ball at a NAIA Division I School (think Christian Colleges vs Junior Colleges), I got a free ride while I played ball, while I worked on campus to load my meal ticket. I lived extremely modestly, often sneaking my clothes into the washing machine of girls that I flirted my way into good graces with.

I honestly don't feel sorry for the student athletes. They get a free ride to a major university...and that's worth a lot more than some money to spend at the club.

Ya ever notice that it seems only the "star" athletes are the ones who get in trouble. The other 124 players seem to do alright and stay out of trouble.

I don't think that is by coincidence. The lesser known players are not under the radar. What position did you play?

I played baseball (OF, 2B, 3B, 1B, C), not football. I know there's a big discrepancies in the training, off season, etc. of the two sports. Football players practice a lot longer and harder than we did for baseball.

I say... give them a choice: no free ride scholarships and get loans like the rest of us and have the ability to make supplemental income - OR - free ride scholarship and no supplemental income.

Although I played small ball at a NAIA Division I School (think Christian Colleges vs Junior Colleges), I got a free ride while I played ball, while I worked on campus to load my meal ticket. I lived extremely modestly, often sneaking my clothes into the washing machine of girls that I flirted my way into good graces with.

I honestly don't feel sorry for the student athletes. They get a free ride to a major university...and that's worth a lot more than some money to spend at the club.

Ya ever notice that it seems only the "star" athletes are the ones who get in trouble. The other 124 players seem to do alright and stay out of trouble.

Given that choice they would be stupid to accept the scholarships. Lots of money to be made in the endorsement game. Only problem is just like other professional sports only the best would qualify and that would be "unfair" to the less talented.

I played baseball (OF, 2B, 3B, 1B, C), not football. I know there's a big discrepancies in the training, off season, etc. of the two sports. Football players practice a lot longer and harder than we did for baseball.

Gotcha, I think that is one of the arguments for football at least. If an athlete is to study, practice, etc. there is quite literally no time for a job. The athlete is performing a 'job' for the university so I think it's unfair to ask them to take on loans for living costs outside of room and board.

The star players are typicall treated as celebrities through high school and they usually think they are above the rules due to this. My son knows a high school junior that is being heavily recruited now and the kid thinks he is the **it now. The lesser known kids have to work harder to earn the scholarships and "most" don't take it for granted. Not sure if Gurley is this way but it seems to be the norm. I coa h little league football and see this kind of attitude even at 11-12 years old. No hustle, don't care attitutude but because they are "athletic" the head coaches still play them regardless of the their attitudes. So a lot of the times, it starts at an early age too. Me personally, I will bench an attitude player in a heartbeat. I can not stand a kid that thinks he is a diva star.

Given that choice they would be stupid to accept the scholarships. Lots of money to be made in the endorsement game. Only problem is just like other professional sports only the best would qualify and that would be "unfair" to the less talented.

What are you talking about? The less talented should obviously take the free ride as they will come out ahead as opposed to going the endorsement route....

Back
Top Bottom