• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Todd Gurley has been suspended

What are you talking about? The less talented should obviously take the free ride as they will come out ahead as opposed to going the endorsement route....

I am saying the less talented would cry that the more talented is making more money off of endorsements. And that would be "unfair" to the less talented that accepted a scholarship.

Free tuition, but they should be allowed to make supplemental income.
They get tuition, ROOM AND BOARD. Their scholarship is worth easily into 6 figures at most any major university and still it's not enough?
Where does it stop? You'd have to pay every sport and then even then it wouldn't stop. What about the Rhodes scholar that increases the value of the University? You going to pay him/her? The music scholarship recipient who has to spend hours and hours each day practicing so the University orchestra can win their national competition to elevate that program?
Here's some info some might fine useful on the 'plight' of D1 football players who are starving... http://ncaacompliance.nd.edu/countable_hours.shtml

They get tuition, ROOM AND BOARD. Their scholarship is worth easily into 6 figures at most any major university and still it's not enough?
Where does it stop? You'd have to pay every sport and then even then it wouldn't stop. What about the Rhodes scholar that increases the value of the University? You going to pay him/her? The music scholarship recipient who has to spend hours and hours each day practicing so the University orchestra can win their national competition to elevate that program?
Here's some info some might fine useful on the 'plight' of D1 football players who are starving... http://ncaacompliance.nd.edu/countable_hours.shtml

The NCAA is a joke. They don't have any direction or any real leader, it is a bunch of guys just paying themselves large amounts of money for pretty much doing nothing.

If players can't be paid, then let them make money off their own name. If they can't sign merchandise for payment, then the University shouldn't be able to profit either. No more jerseys, t shirts, etc with a players name. Take the names off of the players jersey on the field, make it more like high school.

What if an English major is on a full ride and writes a NY times bestseller while attending school? Same for a music major. etc, etc.

I have no problem with the argument that players shouldn't be paid, but then don't turn around and make money off of the players. Hype up the program, not an individual.

The NCAA is a joke. They don't have any direction or any real leader, it is a bunch of guys just paying themselves large amounts of money for pretty much doing nothing.

If players can't be paid, then let them make money off their own name. If they can't sign merchandise for payment, then the University shouldn't be able to profit either. No more jerseys, t shirts, etc with a players name. Take the names off of the players jersey on the field, make it more like high school.

What if an English major is on a full ride and writes a NY times bestseller while attending school? Same for a music major. etc, etc.

I have no problem with the argument that players shouldn't be paid, but then don't turn around and make money off of the players. Hype up the program, not an individual.
If the university builds a strong program and is able to 'profit' by being able to recruit better players by having better faciliities etc... more power to them. The players ARE getting paid via their scholarship. If they are concerned about their education and are good enough, they can literally have their pick of schools. If after agreeing to the rules in place BEFOREHAND they still think all that is "not enough", quit and roll the dice in the draft. It's that simple. Turning D1 into the minor leagues (literally) is a terrible idea.
Some players have gone from high school directly into the NBA. There are options. The cluster that would come from paying players even more doesn't need to be one of them.

If the university builds a strong program and is able to 'profit' by being able to recruit better players by having better faciliities etc... more power to them. The players ARE getting paid via their scholarship. If they are concerned about their education and are good enough, they can literally have their pick of schools. If after agreeing to the rules in place BEFOREHAND they still think all that is "not enough", quit and roll the dice in the draft. It's that simple. Turning D1 into the minor leagues (literally) is a terrible idea.
Some players have gone from high school directly into the NBA. There are options. The cluster that would come from paying players even more doesn't need to be one of them.

You have to be 3 years removed from high school to enter the NFL, so the only real gateway to the NFL is to play college ball.

I much more agree with the alternate model of higher education. You go to University for an education..period. If you want to pursue professional sports after college or high school then great...do that. There are too many kids in college that don't belong there, and high dollar industries like college sports is at least partially to blame. Got to school for an education.

And get a free education and room and board at the school of your choosing if you are good enough. Tough gateway to suffer through. :)

I'm not saying it's tough, but you seem to think the only expense a human has is room and board? How do they pay for every other expense in their life? The school doesn't pay for the gas in their vehicles, clothing outside of athletic apparel, etc. I'm sure many have parents that can pay the extra expense, but I'm sure many can't. Sure, they could get a loan but should an athlete have the burden of a loan after making lots of money for the university?

I agree that paying them all is a mess, but there has to be some type of happy medium.

Back
Top Bottom