• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Todd Gurley has been suspended

If the university builds a strong program and is able to 'profit' by being able to recruit better players by having better faciliities etc... more power to them. The players ARE getting paid via their scholarship. If they are concerned about their education and are good enough, they can literally have their pick of schools. If after agreeing to the rules in place BEFOREHAND they still think all that is "not enough", quit and roll the dice in the draft. It's that simple. Turning D1 into the minor leagues (literally) is a terrible idea.
Some players have gone from high school directly into the NBA. There are options. The cluster that would come from paying players even more doesn't need to be one of them.

They have to wait 3 years post HS.

Then do away with D1 and let the NFL set up a farm system if that is what it has become.

You don't have to pay the players, but don't sit there and take a person's name from them. I understand that they agreed to these "rules", but the rules are extreme when the NCAA is then making millions of of these players.

The elite players should have the opportunity to go straight to the NFL. I'm sure TG wouldn't mind going into the NFL and being paid a few hundred thousand while he develops, or he might get to the big show and be ready to play.

They have to wait 3 years post HS.

Then do away with D1 and let the NFL set up a farm system if that is what it has become.

You don't have to pay the players, but don't sit there and take a person's name from them. I understand that they agreed to these "rules", but the rules are extreme when the NCAA is then making millions of of these players.

The elite players should have the opportunity to go straight to the NFL. I'm sure TG wouldn't mind going into the NFL and being paid a few hundred thousand while he develops, or he might get to the big show and be ready to play.
I'm not fan of the NFL so I'm not inclined to support a real farm system. There is a 'wealth envy' that has struck this country and I don't understand it. Now universities are 'evil' for building programs that recruit top talent and uses that talent to further improve their programs. Somehow that's an injustice to a kid who is getting a free education, free room and board, and a ticket to a 7 or 8 figure income upon graduation? I guess I just don't "feel their pain".

I'm not saying it's tough, but you seem to think the only expense a human has is room and board? How do they pay for every other expense in their life? The school doesn't pay for the gas in their vehicles, clothing outside of athletic apparel, etc. I'm sure many have parents that can pay the extra expense, but I'm sure many can't. Sure, they could get a loan but should an athlete have the burden of a loan after making lots of money for the university?

I agree that paying them all is a mess, but there has to be some type of happy medium.
I guess I don't put these tender atheletes on the same pedestal many do. At one point I worked three simulataneous jobs and still maintained a high GPA. If I had been able to adhere to the NCAA practice schedule and gotten my room and board and tuition paid for, I'd have been WAY ahead of the game and been more than happy with one part time job for my folding money.
I just give them way more credit for being able to provide for themselves especially the massive amount they are already given, than many do, I guess.

I'm not fan of the NFL so I'm not inclined to support a real farm system. There is a 'wealth envy' that has struck this country and I don't understand it. Now universities are 'evil' for building programs that recruit top talent and uses that talent to further improve their programs. Somehow that's an injustice to a kid who is getting a free education, free room and board, and a ticket to a 7 or 8 figure income upon graduation? I guess I just don't "feel their pain".

That ticket to the higher income is hard to use when you get busted up playing in college.

I didn't say anything was evil. But selling $130 jerseys with a players name seems a tad hypocritical.

University should be for education, not sports. Most programs lose money, so really the few profitable programs are paying for everyone else to play.

The player should accept these misaligned rules, but the NCAA should as well. If TG can't make money off of his name, then NO ONE should. Period.

The NCAA is broken and has been for a long time. Look at Penn State for a prime example.

I guess I don't put these tender atheletes on the same pedestal many do. At one point I worked three simulataneous jobs and still maintained a high GPA. If I had been able to adhere to the NCAA practice schedule and gotten my room and board and tuition paid for, I'd have been WAY ahead of the game and been more than happy with one part time job for my folding money.
I just give them way more credit for being able to provide for themselves especially the massive amount they are already given, than many do, I guess.

You wanted to be at school though, right?

They want to make money playing football, so let them make money playing football. Allow a player to be drafted after HS.

That ticket to the higher income is hard to use when you get busted up playing in college.

I didn't say anything was evil. But selling $130 jerseys with a players name seems a tad hypocritical.

University should be for education, not sports. Most programs lose money, so really the few profitable programs are paying for everyone else to play.

The player should accept these misaligned rules, but the NCAA should as well. If TG can't make money off of his name, then NO ONE should. Period.

The NCAA is broken and has been for a long time. Look at Penn State for a prime example.
Yes playing football is risky. What's your point?
Why is selling $130 jerseys 'hypocritical'? :confused:
Yes universities should be for eductation but I presume you are not in favor of eliminating all athletics from universities (or are you?). Most programs do in fact lose money, so you are in favor of them not being able to mitigate those loses? :confused: What do you mean the few profitable programs are paying for everyone else to play? They are profitable due to donations (generally from alumnus).
We obviously just disagree on your "if the player can't make money no one should".
The disgusting perverts around Penn State had nothing to do with signing autographs and breaking established related rules.

Yes playing football is risky. What's your point?
Why is selling $130 jerseys 'hypocritical'? :confused:
Yes universities should be for eductation but I presume you are not in favor of eliminating all athletics from universities (or are you?). Most programs do in fact lose money, so you are in favor of them not being able to mitigate those loses? :confused: What do you mean the few profitable programs are paying for everyone else to play? They are profitable due to donations (generally from alumnus).
We obviously just disagree on your "if the player can't make money no one should".
The disgusting perverts around Penn State had nothing to do with signing autographs and breaking established related rules.

Penn State showed that the NCAA is a joke. Over a decade of child rape and they get a slap on the wrist. Come on................

You wanted to be at school though, right?

They want to make money playing football, so let them make money playing football. Allow a player to be drafted after HS.
I don't know what your first question is asking. No I didn't want to be at school. I wanted to be FINISHED with school and on my own beginning my career.
Drafting the vast majority of 18 year olds into the NFL would be suicide for most of them. The number of career ending injuries would go up exponentially and they'd have no job AND no education (nor means to pay for one). But I have no problem with those rules being changed.

NCAA=wild wild west. No consistency, just throw a dart and pick the punishment.

I'm not a fan of any collegiate sport, but you have to be crazy to think the deal given by the NCAA is legit.

You are a student athlete, yet you can keep a 4.0 and not get your scholarship renewed if you fail on the field. Seems like the student part of the nomenclature doesn't fit.

Schooled is a great documentary that examines college sports and the NCAA.

NCAA, just a big, money grubbing bully.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom