• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tomato Leaves - Any gardeners?

If you're gonna do tomatoes in a pot, make a wicking basket (airoponic)
YouTube is your friend.
Guy in Rome has a YouTube channel all about it, just search wicking basket for tomatoes

That YouTube channel is "Gardening with Leon"

Speriment Tea in a wicking basket/box

Amazing what the right setup produces and very little water/fertilizer waste
IMG_20210502_144508402.jpg

Hello all,

Bought some tomato plants at Lowe’s a few weeks ago. Looked fine when I got them, but now the leaves are yellowing and drying up. Any idea what the issue is by looking at the leaves? Thanks
It's sun. Meter the amount for a few days to a week to acclimate them. They were not grown in full sun.

Started mine about 4 weeks ago from seeds using a 3yr old 18 pack container.

Plan to transplant them into bigger containers within the next couple of days and have them on the back deck like my brother in law did last year.

I’m using the MG potting mix and a sprinkle of triple 13 in the watering can once a week.

I will then use banana peels in water prob next week for weekly watering. I just toss banana peels in a apple juice bottle filled with water and let them sit for a day or two and pour it directly into the soil and it works well for me.

View attachment 3244755

I've been growing full-size and cherry tomatoes on my back deck for the last couple of years now. It's got a great southern exposure and with raised planters works as well as a garden.

For soil I've been using "Mel's Mix" from the "Square Foot Gardening" book. It's a very simple mix of peat moss, plant-based compost and vermiculite (one-third each). I've found this to be the perfect soil for use with my drip irrigation system.

It stays moist all day long after getting a little water in the early AM. but it doesn't trap water and get soggy, and the compost means I don't need to add a bunch of fertilizer.

It also seems to be very parasite resistant, and the only 'pesticide' I've ever used is a diluted solution of Neem oil. Knock on wood but I've never had any kind of bug problem on anything grown in that mix.

https://squarefootgardening.org/2020/05/the-magic-of-mels-mix/

One thing to check might be the water you are using as well. I just use tap water through the drip system, but when I start off the seedlings I use water that's been run through the Berkey filter. If you don't have a filter you might want to let the water you use sit for a day to reduce the amount of chloride present.

Hello all,

Bought some tomato plants at Lowe’s a few weeks ago. Looked fine when I got them, but now the leaves are yellowing and drying up. Any idea what the issue is by looking at the leaves? Thanks

From my pictorial guide from Ga. Cooperative Extension Service, it looks like tomato spotted wilt virus which is carried by thrips. Better dump it and buy another.

The guide is called Diseases & Conditions of Vegetables in Georgia, (a pocket guide/pictorial directory) published by UGA College of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences, Cooperative Extension. The authors are Glenn Beard, County Extension Agent, Colquitt County; and Dr. David B. Langston, Jr., Associate Professor, UGA.

What type soil are they in? I've never had luck in containers but a weekly dose of miracle grow normally turns mine from looking like that to deep green in less than 48 hours.
I'm telling you OP. I have one in a raised bed (on the deck, so no ground contact). Mine looked just like yours (except worse since they also had damage from that last freeze even though they were covered). I thought I was going to have to pull it up. I put Miracle Grow on it Wednesday, by Friday it was dark green and thriving. Putting out new growth like crazy. Just do it.

Hello all,

Just listed to Walter on the radio this weekend plus one or two other shows. The problem with seedlings grown indoors is that they are pretty much used to an acceptable amount of sunlight, warmth, etc. When you put them out, make sure you don't OVEREXPOSE them to the sun. They recommended bringing the seedlings out for 30 minutes at a time increasing the time each day in the sun for a week.... IOW, they are not disposed to go directly in full sunlight when they come from indoor growing farms...

Back
Top Bottom