• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tomorrow is opening day for dove.

Limited out by 09:30! Great shoot!
5CD30494-A301-4F6B-B076-2229E47EB6EE.jpeg

Hunted in Madison County at a buddies field, was a bust today. Saw about 20 birds in total but a majority were WAY off. Ended up with three and enjoyed the day! Weather was really messing stuff up.

Well, my hunt was a bust. They said they had not been able to cut the fields due to weather, so we ended up on a mowed pasture with expected results. Saw a few birds, but only one came in range... maybe. Really hoping subsequent hunts are much better. If not, I just had the most expensive chicken dinner on the planet.

Well, my hunt was a bust. They said they had not been able to cut the fields due to weather, so we ended up on a mowed pasture with expected results. Saw a few birds, but only one came in range... maybe. Really hoping subsequent hunts are much better. If not, I just had the most expensive chicken dinner on the planet.
That’s what I call farm aid,pretty much why I quit going to the paid shoots,I only go a couple times a year now to invites.proberly spend more than paid. usually give the guy a flat of shells, or supply a fish dinner. but he won’t shoot unless he has birds.its a big money game around here now.

That’s what I call farm aid,pretty much why I quit going to the paid shoots,I only go a couple times a year now to invites.proberly spend more than paid. usually give the guy a flat of shells, or supply a fish dinner. but he won’t shoot unless he has birds.its a big money game around here now.
I'm going to reserve judgment until the next shoot. It's a membership for a total of nine shoots and almost all the other hunters were people that were return customers. Some of them many years over. I'm hoping for some really good shoots, but if we're hunting over cut grass again next Saturday I'm done.

I started to go hunt a field near The Rock. They charged $110 this year, which isn't too bad and included a BBQ lunch. I remembered I hunted this field a few years ago and only fired 2 shots. I hunted at the house after deciding to keep the $110 in my pocket. I shot 5 shells killed 2 birds and dusted a 3rd. Ate lunch here, probably wasn't as good as the BBQ lunch but with the $110 I saved I'll go to the new Long Horns.

It’s a big money game because there’s a market for it. To many ppl, not enough space. Folks are lined up with money in hand every year and can’t even buy a spot to hunt a decent field on opening day.
Not to mention it cost a pile of money to set a field up for opening day. One that is specifically for a dove opener shoot.

Back
Top Bottom