• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Too good to be true Matthew Danitz Bowie

Decided,to go out in the yard and see how an 8" chef's knife would stand up to "extreme testing." Cut the same poplar stump down now that it is 20 degrees out and frozen. And chopped a few other hickory saplings... here is the result of much higher degree of stress on a chefs knife.
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG

Thinner blade stock, stainless, 8" chef's knife versus custom forged 1095 Bowie ... which will prevail??
Apparently these chef's knives are amazing!! :boink:

IMG_0596.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 15
I expected more out of 1095 as would many folks.

That blade chipping has nothing to do with what kind of steel was used, but with his heat treatment. 1095 is one of the more popular if not the most popular, steel used for hard use field knives. That guy won't be around long with not standing behind his product.

That blade chipping has nothing to do with what kind of steel was used, but with his heat treatment. 1095 is one of the more popular if not the most popular, steel used for hard use field knives. That guy won't be around long with not standing behind his product.
Indeed :tsk:

Well, to add insult to injury, he may have caused me to lose another $30 today. When he agreed to make a replacement, I had ordered scale material to have shipped to him. I was sending him an envelope to get them sent to me after he refused. Instead he refused shipment and does not look like the seller of the scales is all that willing to send them out a second time.
Oh well... the saga of the bad luck bowie is lasting longer than the blade did!

Back
Top Bottom