• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Toolcraft BCG Good?

RugerRob

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Anyone using a Toolcraft BCG, wondering if they're good to go, didn't see many reviews on them when searching the web, comes with a lifetime warranty, I'm considering it or possibly an Aero Nitride Black BCG with the engraved A on it to match the upper and lower.

Toolcraft Nickle Boron
http://www.monmouthreloading.com/shop/toolcraft-bcg/

Aero Nitride
http://www.monmouthreloading.com/shop/aero-precision-5-56-black-nitride-bolt-carrier-group/

I currently have a windham phosphate, core15 phosphate, and Fail Zero Nickleboron in my other rifles and they've been good to go.

Thoughts Appreciated.

I think they're supplier for a lot of budget BCGs, or at least the parts, like PSA and similar, maybe even Aero.

I've seen good reports from the ones Monmouth are selling.

What you want is a chrome lined carrier, chrome lined gas key, hp/mpi tested bolt and good staking on the gas key.

HPT tested bolts are in the TDP but that's doesn't mean you should be preoccupied by it. It's been estimated that it reduces bolt life some 30-40%. It's essential maybe for military but they replace them on a schedule and have an unlimited supply essentially, but for the average Joe it's unnecessary. MPI in almost all cases is good enough to verify the material is worth its salt. Besides, the vast majority of us won't shoot on full auto or some crazily rigorous schedule.

I will say I've stayed away from carriers that aren't chrome lined in the bore or gas key, they've always cleaned up easier than an all melonited bcg for me but ymmv. That's not to say that that np3/nickel boron variants aren't good either so don't take it that way. Just feel it isn't warranted for the cost unless you like the cool and shiny factor.

I suggest anyone not super familiar and even those that are watch. Smart man that had seen a lot of stuff..

Meant to add imho ToolCraft is gtg!

HPT tested bolts are in the TDP but that's doesn't mean you should be preoccupied by it. It's been estimated that it reduces bolt life some 30-40%. It's essential maybe for military but they replace them on a schedule and have an unlimited supply essentially, but for the average Joe it's unnecessary. MPI in almost all cases is good enough to verify the material is worth its salt. Besides, the vast majority of us won't shoot on full auto or some crazily rigorous schedule.

I will say I've stayed away from carriers that aren't chrome lined in the bore or gas key, they've always cleaned up easier than an all melonited bcg for me but ymmv. That's not to say that that np3/nickel boron variants aren't good either so don't take it that way. Just feel it isn't warranted for the cost unless you like the cool and shiny factor.

I suggest anyone not super familiar and even those that are watch. Smart man that had seen a lot of stuff..

Meant to add imho ToolCraft is gtg!

Some companies individually test, some batch test, and some don't test. It's more of a proxy measurement for quality than anything else. Generally the ones that are individually tested are also the ones with nice staking and chrome lining.

Some companies individually test, some batch test, and some don't test. It's more of a proxy measurement for quality than anything else. Generally the ones that are individually tested are also the ones with nice staking and chrome lining.

I know of no one reputable who batch tests and then individually marks their bolts though, it'd be dishonest. I'm just saying proof testing is overkill for most and not the absolute measure of good bolt. Individual MPI has lasted most a lifetime when made from reputable manufacturers.

Almost there... Leaning towards the toolcraft but still undecided. Have axis raptor charging handle and Fortis gas block on order. All that's left is the bcg, scope and mount. Going with a viper PST 1-4 and vortex mount. Got the FN cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel today.

IMG_20170210_154144585.jpg
IMG_20170210_154152804.jpg

Back
Top Bottom