• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

~Top 5 1911~

Les Baer
Ed Brown
Wilson Combat
Nighthawk
...? On the 5th...

If you are looking for best quality for your dollar then Les Baer. In my opinion you are paying for aesthetics with the others. I prefer Brown and Wilson's aesthetics. Love my Baer.

Dan Wesson would be a great fifth.

Sig Sauer, Springer, and Colt are def great mid line pieces as well.

So i'm sure I am going to get smashed for this, but My Ruger SR 1911 performs better than all my $1000 and up 1911's do. Kimbers are junk im my book, had 2 bad ones. Springers are nice but a PITA to strip. Sig makes a all around good 1911. not sure what size frame you are looking at but my Ultra is a very reliable gun, and my RCS Sport is crazy accurate.

I have a sig that has been beat to death in IDPA and cleaned very rarely that has yet to have any kind of issue. No FTF or FTE. I had a springer that as long as I used my own reloads or WWB it would run great but as quick as you changed ammo it went to ****. There are good and bad in all of them. Glocks are great and all but I hate them. I shoot M&Ps and love them but my 1911's still have a place in my safe.

I have a sig that has been beat to death in IDPA and cleaned very rarely that has yet to have any kind of issue. No FTF or FTE. I had a springer that as long as I used my own reloads or WWB it would run great but as quick as you changed ammo it went to ****. There are good and bad in all of them. Glocks are great and all but I hate them. I shoot M&Ps and love them but my 1911's still have a place in my safe.

My Ultra will not feed Winchester PDX1 but will feed Black talon 45. My SR-1911 is the opposite. The RCS takes anything i Throw at it. The only JHP my V10 will take is hornady critical defense. My ultra is a amazing gun (in my avatar) right under 7,000 rounds and only had one FTE at around 6500. Cleaned it and good to go again.

Just some friendly ribbing on the 1911! :boink:

Truth be told I own 4 of them and wouldn't trade them for nothing. My dad put his Colt govt model in my hands at a very young age , so i cut my teeth on the platform as it was the first pistol I ever shot in my life.
I really enjoy shooting each of my 1911's and each one has its quirks but I shoot my Glocks much more and after thousands and thousands of rounds thru them ugly black polymers they have made me a believer for sure. They just plain work reliably on any ammo I feed them with little to no maintenance needed.

Any of the ones mentioned previously (even the Llama!) will get the job done.
I'll second Rugers offering as its a fine piece and I've had great luck with mine.
1911's are a different animal for sure but if they feel good to you and you shoot them well you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
"Best" huh?

Hmm...this may take a while...

Best value? I'm gonna go with Taurus; close second Rock Island...

Back
Top Bottom