• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

~Top 5 1911~

What ever happened to Clark Custom? Had a shop on the end of a range outside Shreveport (I think).
The only reason Glock guys beef about 1911's, is:
1. they can't afford one.:)
2. They are too lazy to clean their guns.
3. They have never owned one (at least not a good one.)

Sorry guys, just kidding, but if you had any real contact with the family...

Last edited:
Just buy a Dan Wesson and be done with it. Fit and finish to rival higher price 1911s and good reliability. The only problem I've had from my Dan Wesson after thousands of rounds was due to a very light reload. No problems with accuracy either. I have yet to hear or read of a Dan Wesson 1911 owner complaining about their gun.

I second the last post. Dan Wesson all day long. I would love an Ed Brown kobra carry though. Outside my budget however. Need to sell my LMT to get there.

1911's, like any other line of handgun, has its good and bad points... With that being said, the question at hand was simply, "whats the best 1911 for the money?" Not, asking is there any weapon superior to another. Because with enough training and time behind a trigger, a damn HI-POINT can do the job better than any other...

So to the 1911 question at hand...
Entry Level - Nothing wrong with a Rock island ($400 -$550)
Low end - Springfield ($650 - $850)
Mid level - Colt 1911 XSE ($950 - $1,200)
High End - Wilson Combat CQB ($2300 - $2900)
If money is no object, I would say Limited Edition Les Baer Presentation Grade 1911 (about $6000.00)

That's great info. Thanks

What ever happened to Clark Custom? Had a shop on the end of a range outside Shreveport (I think).
The only reason Glock guys beef about 1911's, is:
1. they can't afford one.:)
2. They are too lazy to clean their guns.
3. They have never owned one (at least not a good one.)

Sorry guys, just kidding, but if you had any real contact with the family...
That's funny....jk...not really....jk

Firearms, as with most other things, you get what you pay for!!! There are bargain basement $400 models all the way up to $6000 hand tuned Ed Brown signature models. The best I can tell you is purchase as much quality as you can afford!! I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that has served me well. I have added Trijicon Night Sights and a fancy set of Hogue grips.
Hogue blue Lava Grips on Kimber PC II.jpg
It tends to cause me to shoot above my skill level!! (I've shot competition for years, so I am no amateur.) It will easily outshoot the Series 70 Colt National Match Gold Cup that I shot for years. As for the four models that I think should be listed below the Kimber, who cares!!!

Merely my humble opinion!!

Just buy a Dan Wesson and be done with it. Fit and finish to rival higher price 1911s and good reliability. The only problem I've had from my Dan Wesson after thousands of rounds was due to a very light reload. No problems with accuracy either. I have yet to hear or read of a Dan Wesson 1911 owner complaining about their gun.

Yeap. Shot a Nighthawk side by side with my DW and i prefer my DW over the nighthawk.

Back
Top Bottom