• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Top recruiting classes

I've not really followed old Jimbo closely but it seemed to me he stuck it to ol Bobby kind of like Phat Phil did to Johnny Majors.

I have no doubt if he had to make a living outside of football he'd own the slimiest buy here, pay here lot in town.

Not only is Jimbo going to be a problem, there are a lot of other coaches in the SEC that did quite well. Who thought Arkansas would be 20th? With the SEC having 4 classes in the top 10, and 11 classes in the top 25, I have to say the SEC did dang well in recruiting for 2019. The number signed weighs into the ranking and LSU, ranked 6th has some to go having signed 21 and UGA has some to go having signed 22. LSU could move up, but I don't believe UGA will. Ohio state for example has only signed 16 and they are ranked 11th. Clemson is ranked 5th and they have signed 27. February 6 is still considered the last day to sign. The ranking could, and probably will, change between now and then.

But, the SEC as a whole, did a fine job in getting projected "talent". Seems like the SEC will continue to be the best conference in college football.

Not only is Jimbo going to be a problem, there are a lot of other coaches in the SEC that did quite well. Who thought Arkansas would be 20th? With the SEC having 4 classes in the top 10, and 11 classes in the top 25, I have to say the SEC did dang well in recruiting for 2019. The number signed weighs into the ranking and LSU, ranked 6th has some to go having signed 21 and UGA has some to go having signed 22. LSU could move up, but I don't believe UGA will. Ohio state for example has only signed 16 and they are ranked 11th. Clemson is ranked 5th and they have signed 27. February 6 is still considered the last day to sign. The ranking could, and probably will, change between now and then.

But, the SEC as a whole, did a fine job in getting projected "talent". Seems like the SEC will continue to be the best conference in college football.
No doubt it will change and it's not just the overall number but the ranking of the players within those numbers that are used to factor the overall ranking. You are right, some surprises but it's no surprise that if you think yourself a star, you want to play in the SEC... "almost" regardless of which team. The problem with Jimbo is he can actually coach, and coach up. Obviously Saban does as well. Not sure I'd really put the other SEC coaches in the "over perform" category. A few are obviously in the under perform category.

I've not really followed old Jimbo closely but it seemed to me he stuck it to ol Bobby kind of like Phat Phil did to Johnny Majors.

I have no doubt if he had to make a living outside of football he'd own the slimiest buy here, pay here lot in town.
I don't really see him like that at all. But, I also don't follow him THAT close. A&M was a premier job with all the right pieces in place. If anyone can make it what it could be, he's got to be one of them. He's off to a solid start for sure.

I'm surprised that he has gotten off to such a good start at A&M.

What I remember most from FSU is how he handled the whole Jameis Winston deal. He was as smarmy as they come. Without Winston his record was mediocre. And it was a time when Clemson was the only consistent in conference winner, and his out of conference rival Gators were back to where the Gators have always been without a coach named Steve or Urban...average at best.

That being said, he was always able to recruit at FSU...and he did it during the facilities arms race that quickly left FSU's facilities looking very worn and dated.

Now that he has the near unlimited funds, top shelf facilities, and much better Alumni/fan base of A&M he may be a force to be reckoned with. We'll see, but I have my doubts.

I'm surprised that he has gotten off to such a good start at A&M.

What I remember most from FSU is how he handled the whole Jameis Winston deal. He was as smarmy as they come. Without Winston his record was mediocre. And it was a time when Clemson was the only consistent in conference winner, and his out of conference rival Gators were back to where the Gators have always been without a coach named Steve or Urban...average at best.

That being said, he was always able to recruit at FSU...and he did it during the facilities arms race that quickly left FSU's facilities looking very worn and dated.

Now that he has the near unlimited funds, top shelf facilities, and much better Alumni/fan base of A&M he may be a force to be reckoned with. We'll see, but I have my doubts.
Building a program and sustaining a program are definitely 2 different things. I agree, we shall see. We just don't need another power player in the west!!! :doh:

Building a program and sustaining a program are definitely 2 different things. I agree, we shall see. We just don't need another power player in the west!!! :doh:

Just look at the bright side of things...

Despite a decent class this year Arkansas will likely continue to wander in the wilderness for the foreseeable future.

Matt Luke might be the next Knute Rockne, which I highly doubt, but even Knute couldn't win in Oxford with the mess Freeze left behind.

Opelika city limits is the closest the Gus Bus will bet getting to Atlanta any time soon.

Oh, and that cranky dude in Tuscaloosa will surely get bored and retire one of these days. Right? Please?

And I can promise you, Jimbo would not be allowed around here but if Ba Ba wanted to sit down in my living room and talk to my son he would be welcome. He gave my Dawgs quite a beat down this year but the Vanilla Gorilla is what's right about college football!

Back
Top Bottom