• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Total Noob Questions about first reloading setup

BHPSteel

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
I've managed to rearrange my home sufficiently that I think I can finally take up reloading.

I'm planning to reload for plinking to begin with, and then once I learn my way around reloading a bit, I want to start doing load devlopment for (probably) subsonic 300 BLK and 308. Might want to try and run up a recipe for 38 Special subsonics too.

Now comes the fun part, equipment selection.

I've played around with a variety of hardware, and I think I've come down to a turret press. Having been a bit of an engineer in a prior life, I've concluded (although I could be wrong) that the best results are gonna come from tight tolerances and consistent setup. With that in mind, I'm currently thinking a turret press like the Lyman Brass Smith 8 station, carbide die sets for 9mm and 38/357, and "good" quality dies for 300BLK, 308, and maybe 30-06 and 76.2x54R in the future. I'll probably do my brass cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner, and I'll invest in appropriate tools like scales, powder measures, brass trimming rig and a good set of calipers.

I'm no Mr. Moneybags, but I'd rather "buy once, cry once" on this initial press. Who knows, in the future if my focus changes, there might be other presses I'll add, but I want to be able to churn out 100 rounds of good quality ammo an hour to begin with, and don't mind if it's a bit more expensive than commercial ammo on ammoseek.com.

What should I be looking out for?
What questions should I be asking that I don't even know I need to ask?
Any recommendations for equipment other than the ones I list above?

Everyone has their preference just like firearms. I have RCBS because it’s what my Dad taught me on and I like their equipment. I use a Special 5 and a Rock Chucker and loaded some .300blk subs today. I‘m old school and use single stage presses, mechanical scales, hand throw or measure powder because I am not churning out ammo and I reload in stages. I load .38/.357, .308, .300AAC, 9mm, .45acp and have dies for 5.56 and 7.62x39.

I’ll decap, resize and clean primer pockets one day, then primers, powder and bullets later. My best advise is to start with basic simple loads, learn about the powders, bullet weights and take your time. There is a lot I am still learning after 30 years because there will be new powders, bullets, cartridges. Buy good equipment, learn how everything works and NEVER get in a hurry. Good luck and welcome to the “rolling your own” world.

If you are ever close to the Buford area, you are welcome to come over and look at my reloading set ups. I have everything from the basic single stage. To the Dillon 1100 or the S1050. And if you’re interested in Dillons, I have 5 of them set up and I can show you the differences between them all. It all depends how much you’re gonna load for and how quick do you want to load them. Personally I want to get done as fast as possible, so I mainly run the Dillions big presses and keep them set up.

SS pins. thank me later. I really like the redding t7 turret press...that being said, I use a rock chucker and 2 dillons. a square deal b with heads for 38/357, 45acp and 9mm...and a 650. I really want a Forster co-ax single stage for precision rifle stuff. no matter what you buy...it is ALWAYS nice to have a single stage sitting around. and go SS pins for cleaning. wet rotary tumble is the shiznit.

If you are ever close to the Buford area, you are welcome to come over and look at my reloading set ups. I have everything from the basic single stage. To the Dillon 1100 or the S1050. And if you’re interested in Dillons, I have 5 of them set up and I can show you the differences between them all. It all depends how much you’re gonna load for and how quick do you want to load them. Personally I want to get done as fast as possible, so I mainly run the Dillions big presses and keep them set up.
bought my 650 from this fine gentleman. I would really take him up on that offer. BHPSteel BHPSteel

I have used the Dillon set up…my dad has all the stuff for his. But I found that the Lee turret press was the best for me to use in my pistol reloading.
I don’t shoot enough rifle to warrant reloading rifle rounds, I just buy what I need there. Usually the most I shoot in rifle is .223 so I buy that in 1k round lots and it lasts pretty good.

I have used the Dillon set up…my dad has all the stuff for his. But I found that the Lee turret press was the best for me to use in my pistol reloading.
I don’t shoot enough rifle to warrant reloading rifle rounds, I just buy what I need there. Usually the most I shoot in rifle is .223 so I buy that in 1k round lots and it lasts pretty good.
I like loading 77gr stuff for the low. I agree about blaster ammo.

Back
Top Bottom