• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Total Noob Questions about first reloading setup

Its a fun hobby for me.

I started out using Lee loaders back in the 80s. Loaded many many boxes of 44 and 357. Still use em too for decapping :) . Have a Lee single stage press now for 44, 40 and 357. Also use a Lee Loadall for 20 gauge stuff.

All I load is pistol stuff, but a good crimp and my leverguns cycle em just fine ;)

Well,
Its a fun hobby for me.

I started out using Lee loaders back in the 80s. Loaded many many boxes of 44 and 357. Still use em too for decapping :)

All I load is pistol stuff, but a good crimp and my leverguns cycle em just fine ;)
It's interesting you mention leverguns.

I have a Henry Big Boy X, and a Dead Air Ghost M in jail at the moment, but I want to develop some 160 grain 38 specials with a load that'll keep 'em just under supersonic.

You don't really even need SS pins. I wet tumble without pins and the brass looks brand new. I don't care about spotless primer pockets. For what I do, it doesn't matter.

Pins are a pain to deal with...my humble opinion.
I agree with you. I have never used my SS pins either and the results are great. That’s one less thing I have to mess with.

Everyone has their preference just like firearms. I have RCBS because it’s what my Dad taught me on and I like their equipment. I use a Special 5 and a Rock Chucker and loaded some .300blk subs today. I‘m old school and use single stage presses, mechanical scales, hand throw or measure powder because I am not churning out ammo and I reload in stages. I load .38/.357, .308, .300AAC, 9mm, .45acp and have dies for 5.56 and 7.62x39.

I’ll decap, resize and clean primer pockets one day, then primers, powder and bullets later. My best advise is to start with basic simple loads, learn about the powders, bullet weights and take your time. There is a lot I am still learning after 30 years because there will be new powders, bullets, cartridges. Buy good equipment, learn how everything works and NEVER get in a hurry. Good luck and welcome to the “rolling your own” world.
Put perfect. My technique as well. No hurry, enjoy the time and experiences.

Lost track of him and figured he passed, BS'd with a many an hour.
SS pins, a good single stage press and powder measure. Buy the rest to play with as needed or wanted. Lots of folks get out of it and have setups ready to buy. I picked up over $3500 worth for $350 because a wife wanted it out of the house

I run an old Lyman turret press bolted to a repurposed cheap computer desk for depriming, sizing, seating, and crimping.

All priming is done with a Hornady handheld unit.

All powder is individually weighed/dropped 1 case at a time on an old Lyman beam scale with Lee dippers and a Lyman trickler.

I crank them out slow, but I crank them out precise. Overkill for the cartridges I load for (9mm Luger, 10mm Auto, 45 Auto, 45 Colt, 357 Magnum, 38 Special, 44 Magnum, and 300 Blackout) but I'm not doing this to make money so volume is my last concern.

I may snag a Forster Co-Ax at some point for rifle cartridges mainly, but this Lyman has served me well for the better part of 25 years.

I agree with others on the Dillon recommendations for a progressive setup if you'd like to turn out a bit higher volume.

I'm not a fan of the "everything in a box" kits that are sold, as you inevitably pay for a bunch of stuff that you'll either never use or replace with something you like better. I'd recommend choosing a press and getting it setup, then piecing together all of your other components as needed.

Welcome to rolling your own! It's a deep but awesome rabbit hole. 😁

20230408_163408.jpg

I like the manual index of the 550, so if there is a problem with anything, you don't have to clear the whole machine to address it. I never "upgraded". I can produce 400 rounds an hour at a relaxed pace.
I agree. I had a 550 before the 650 even came out. Tried the 650, and stayed with my 550 for the same reason. Virtually no difference in output, and if you crush a primer, or ding the mouth of a case, clearing the 650 wipes out any speed advantage.

I was shooting 400-500 .38 Special WC a week, and typically it took me a little more than an hour to load them. Loading the primer tubes is the biggest PITA as far as slowing you down. And I didn't have a case feeder.

Back to OP, I still use a Lyman single stage for all my hunting rounds, because I want them to be beyond perfect.

Back
Top Bottom