• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Total Noob Questions about first reloading setup

Sounds like I need to step up to a dillon. Been loading single stage on a rock chucker.

I have quite a few loading books, but I've gotten a LOT of use out of the hodgdon site and their app.

Loaded quite a bit of 300 blk. You"ll need to tune the load to the barrel length. Load I had for 7.5" barrel went super on a 10.5". When you get a good load, it is so much fun to shoot.

Any time you can see how someone else handles powder measurement and works up a load, will be time well spent.

One More thing:

Check out Johnny's Reloading Bench on youtube.

I've managed to rearrange my home sufficiently that I think I can finally take up reloading.

I'm planning to reload for plinking to begin with, and then once I learn my way around reloading a bit, I want to start doing load devlopment for (probably) subsonic 300 BLK and 308. Might want to try and run up a recipe for 38 Special subsonics too.

Now comes the fun part, equipment selection.

I've played around with a variety of hardware, and I think I've come down to a turret press. Having been a bit of an engineer in a prior life, I've concluded (although I could be wrong) that the best results are gonna come from tight tolerances and consistent setup. With that in mind, I'm currently thinking a turret press like the Lyman Brass Smith 8 station, carbide die sets for 9mm and 38/357, and "good" quality dies for 300BLK, 308, and maybe 30-06 and 76.2x54R in the future. I'll probably do my brass cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner, and I'll invest in appropriate tools like scales, powder measures, brass trimming rig and a good set of calipers.

I'm no Mr. Moneybags, but I'd rather "buy once, cry once" on this initial press. Who knows, in the future if my focus changes, there might be other presses I'll add, but I want to be able to churn out 100 rounds of good quality ammo an hour to begin with, and don't mind if it's a bit more expensive than commercial ammo on ammoseek.com.

What should I be looking out for?
What questions should I be asking that I don't even know I need to ask?
Any recommendations for equipment other than the ones I list above?
look at a Dillon 650

I've managed to rearrange my home sufficiently that I think I can finally take up reloading.

I'm planning to reload for plinking to begin with, and then once I learn my way around reloading a bit, I want to start doing load devlopment for (probably) subsonic 300 BLK and 308. Might want to try and run up a recipe for 38 Special subsonics too.

Now comes the fun part, equipment selection.

I've played around with a variety of hardware, and I think I've come down to a turret press. Having been a bit of an engineer in a prior life, I've concluded (although I could be wrong) that the best results are gonna come from tight tolerances and consistent setup. With that in mind, I'm currently thinking a turret press like the Lyman Brass Smith 8 station, carbide die sets for 9mm and 38/357, and "good" quality dies for 300BLK, 308, and maybe 30-06 and 76.2x54R in the future. I'll probably do my brass cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner, and I'll invest in appropriate tools like scales, powder measures, brass trimming rig and a good set of calipers.

I'm no Mr. Moneybags, but I'd rather "buy once, cry once" on this initial press. Who knows, in the future if my focus changes, there might be other presses I'll add, but I want to be able to churn out 100 rounds of good quality ammo an hour to begin with, and don't mind if it's a bit more expensive than commercial ammo on ammoseek.com.

What should I be looking out for?
What questions should I be asking that I don't even know I need to ask?
Any recommendations for equipment other than the ones I list above?
Sounds like u have a good idea already, get something that doesn’t break the bank, and get an idea of what your needs are, just get started with something..don’t over think it, I would get an rcbs rock crusher for a press to start with, digital calipers from harbor freight,a digital scale( look on line)..Dillon swedge, trimmer, some dies (Lots of makers)..wet tumbler, start basic and work up, there is a lot of stuff

Sounds like u have a good idea already, get something that doesn’t break the bank, and get an idea of what your needs are, just get started with something..don’t over think it, I would get an rcbs rock crusher for a press to start with, digital calipers from harbor freight,a digital scale( look on line)..Dillon swedge, trimmer, some dies (Lots of makers)..wet tumbler, start basic and work up, there is a lot of stuff
I really hate to say it, but you can save considerable money by looking on Fleabay for these items. They never (hardly) wear out, and any discount from retail is real money. On presses, on the name brands, parts are available, and Dillon for one has a lifetime warranty to any owned.

I really hate to say it, but you can save considerable money by looking on Fleabay for these items. They never (hardly) wear out, and any discount from retail is real money. On presses, on the name brands, parts are available, and Dillon for one has a lifetime warranty to any owned.

No reason to hate to say it! I like saving money, and that's a great idea.

I started on a Dillon xl 750 but it was to busy for me in the to start out I almost gave up on reloading So I got a Dillon 550c once I got the hang of that press I moved back to the 750 It really depends on how much loading you want to do If your looking for volume go with a something like the 750 or bigger IF you are going for accuracy and precision I would do something smaller like a 550 or single stage press I do both Once I get the right right load on my 550 I start cranking them out on the 750
This....because the rounds you're doing...300 black out and 308? i would do a 550

Back
Top Bottom