• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Total Noob Questions about first reloading setup

I do all my rifle on the 550
I got a 550 right after they came out, used it for years. Tried a 650, just couldn't justify the expense, and any speed advantage was lost the first time you had to clear some kind of jam, and loading hundreds of cast bullets, you are going to have regular jams.

I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but - an update.

I got a great deal on a Hornady Lock-N-Load with a pile of accessories, which I know had its fans and its detractors. It's all set up and courtesy of the gentleman who sold it to me, I also got half an ammo can of 9mm 124gr coated bullets and a 50 cal can of recycled brass.

Took out a second mortgage and bought some primers and powder, and so I was off to the races. Made 50 rounds of 9mm, measured every one of them for OAL (nice consistent 1.150 +/- 0.002) and then pulled the bullets to check powder weight. Unfortunately, two rounds would have been squibs - no charge in them - not a surprise because I'd been tinkering with the setup mid-run (bad idea).

Decided at that point that I needed something like a powder cop - so I ordered in an RCBS Lock-Out die which seems to me to be an even better insurance policy than a standard powder cop, and following a couple of hours getting to know the hardware, I made another 50 rounds, pulled them all and voila! - 50 rounds all with 4.8 grains of CFE Pistol.

So, thanks for all the advice in this thread, whether I took it or not. The experimentation can now begin.

Followup.

The one issue I did have that I don't think I've solved, is decapping this used brass. Lots of different headstamps. The Norma-headstamp brass was particularly stubborn to deprime, and one of the things I did find was that I'd sometimes have to stop depriming to pick bits of spent cap out of the press 'deck'. Once you know what to do, it's not hard to fix, but it does ruin your rhythm. I can't see an easy way to avoid this.

I was thinking about the process of reloading and wondered if any of you process your brass by decapping/sizing, then cleaning, then repriming and flaring as a single process, and then storing the brass so that you can follow along later once you've decided what powder load, bullet and seating you want.

Is there some downside to doing it this way?

I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but - an update.

I got a great deal on a Hornady Lock-N-Load with a pile of accessories, which I know had its fans and its detractors. It's all set up and courtesy of the gentleman who sold it to me, I also got half an ammo can of 9mm 124gr coated bullets and a 50 cal can of recycled brass.

Took out a second mortgage and bought some primers and powder, and so I was off to the races. Made 50 rounds of 9mm, measured every one of them for OAL (nice consistent 1.150 +/- 0.002) and then pulled the bullets to check powder weight. Unfortunately, two rounds would have been squibs - no charge in them - not a surprise because I'd been tinkering with the setup mid-run (bad idea).

Decided at that point that I needed something like a powder cop - so I ordered in an RCBS Lock-Out die which seems to me to be an even better insurance policy than a standard powder cop, and following a couple of hours getting to know the hardware, I made another 50 rounds, pulled them all and voila! - 50 rounds all with 4.8 grains of CFE Pistol.

So, thanks for all the advice in this thread, whether I took it or not. The experimentation can now begin.

Followup.

The one issue I did have that I don't think I've solved, is decapping this used brass. Lots of different headstamps. The Norma-headstamp brass was particularly stubborn to deprime, and one of the things I did find was that I'd sometimes have to stop depriming to pick bits of spent cap out of the press 'deck'. Once you know what to do, it's not hard to fix, but it does ruin your rhythm. I can't see an easy way to avoid this.

I was thinking about the process of reloading and wondered if any of you process your brass by decapping/sizing, then cleaning, then repriming and flaring as a single process, and then storing the brass so that you can follow along later once you've decided what powder load, bullet and seating you want.

Is there some downside to doing it this way?
only time. I am in the habit of decapping/resizing brass on a single stage then loading on my progressive. more time, but I like the extra step to inspect brass. keeps my progressive press cleaner too.

Get with someone that has a setup. Preferably something close to what you want. Spend a few days/eves with them watching, doing and getting the hang of it. If you can do this it will help tremendously in the long run !
Perfect advice especially for someone wanting to go strait to turret progressive setup

I never been a fan of loading mixed brass for the very reasons you describe.

if you want to check for squib loads, weigh them, You obviously have a scale. That's what the factories do.

Thanks for the recommendations - I have a helpful neighbor who has been reloading for years, so I have someone I can actually sit with and get some hands-on experience.

The recommendation to sort the brass is obviously a good one. I can actually feel the weight difference between some of these cases. I guess that to some extent, the weight also affects the powder capacity of the case, which will also have an impact on ballistics.

So much to learn, so few years left to me.

On my progressive press, I like to prep a ton of brass, I tumbled decaped resized and trimmed..5.. 5 gallon buckets of 223, they still need to be debured which is a pain, I do About 5000 deburing at a time, tumble them 1 more time (wet tumble is better, but set up doing a dry tumble 25 yrs ago, and guess I’m doing it like this)..after all the prep work, the Dillon 650 puts them right together, Dillon 650 is a good press, if for nothing else, the life time warranty on parts and the excellent costomer service

I use a rock chucker single stage and a rock chucker with a piggyback 2 for my progressive press. I'm about to have to upgrade because there are parts no longer made for my piggyback 2 and I'm kind of dreading it because I'm so used to it.

Back
Top Bottom