• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Toyota 86... anybody driven one?

Believe me, I know. Been casually looking for an '83 Supra for a while. The late 80s are worse those. All trashed out thanks to "Need for Speed" wannabes.
I never looked for that body style. When I worked for Macon Mitsubishi in 05 I had a kid leave me a check to hold for a 2 turbo 94 model. I was supposed to hold it for about a month . Asking price was $25K and I got $27,500 AND it was December. Notoriously slow month. Problem was the car was the lot owner's personal car. And I found out that it was a salvage rebuild. Had a big plate riveted in the door jam stating such. Then that Pakistani D bag told me that MY end of the deal was a $500.00 flat. " No **** YOU very much." I showed the kid the real deal on the car and then hooked him up on eBay motors with a car that hadn't been smashed up like a beer can which wasn't easy by the way . When the owner asked me if the check had cleared I told him to look in the bin below the shredder.

I had an 82 Celica GT back in the day so I have a soft spot for Toyo.

I had an 82 Celica GT, 5 spd, put over 160k on it with original clutch. Drove it like I stole it the whole time. That 22R was bulletproof. Sister bought it added another 100k, sold it when it needed the clutch done. It is still banging around in South Ga on a hunting lease with mudders on the rear.

I never looked for that body style. When I worked for Macon Mitsubishi in 05 I had a kid leave me a check to hold for a 2 turbo 94 model. I was supposed to hold it for about a month . Asking price was $25K and I got $27,500 AND it was December. Notoriously slow month. Problem was the car was the lot owner's personal car. And I found out that it was a salvage rebuild. Had a big plate riveted in the door jam stating such. Then that Pakistani D bag told me that MY end of the deal was a $500.00 flat. " No **** YOU very much." I showed the kid the real deal on the car and then hooked him up on eBay motors with a car that hadn't been smashed up like a beer can which wasn't easy by the way . When the owner asked me if the check had cleared I told him to look in the bin below the shredder.
LOL, awesome!

I had an 82 Celica GT, 5 spd, put over 160k on it with original clutch. Drove it like I stole it the whole time. That 22R was bulletproof. Sister bought it added another 100k, sold it when it needed the clutch done. It is still banging around in South Ga on a hunting lease with mudders on the rear.
LOL that's awesome. My 83 Supra went well over 125k with the original brake pads and when I traded it in with close to 200k (got a whopping $1k for it) it still had the original clutch. I was not easy on it. Man I miss that car!

LOL that's awesome. My 83 Supra went well over 125k with the original brake pads and when I traded it in with close to 200k (got a whopping $1k for it) it still had the original clutch. I was not easy on it. Man I miss that car!

Bet they heard you coming from miles away, steel on steel.lol

Bet they heard you coming from miles away, steel on steel.lol
That's what was crazy. I had the pads checked several times. Always good with plenty left. I finally just MADE them replace them because it was just getting too crazy to believe. I even told the guys AFTER they'd check them that they were original and they just kind of looked confused and shrugged their shoulders. It was a stick and I always downshifted to brake. Cuz you know... brake pads are so much more expensive than a clutch. :rolleyes: But again, neither one ever gave out. Really was a great car.

That's what was crazy. I had the pads checked several times. Always good with plenty left. I finally just MADE them replace them because it was just getting too crazy to believe. I even told the guys AFTER they'd check them that they were original and they just kind of looked confused and shrugged their shoulders. It was a stick and I always downshifted to brake. Cuz you know... brake pads are so much more expensive than a clutch. :rolleyes: But again, neither one ever gave out. Really was a great car.

Ever now and then one lucky person finds that special car. My first car was a 77 camaro lt i believe . I gave that car so much hell it was unbelievable it lasted. 305 auto and it took everything a 16 year old had to offer, and not to mention his friends when i had a little to much to drink. Heck of a tough car.

From what I understand, the new Supra is more BMW Z4 than Toyota.

I had a '75 Celica back in the day. Fun little 4 speed.

1975_toyota_celica_st_coupe-pic-36583.jpg

Back
Top Bottom