• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Toyota 86... anybody driven one?

You'd have to unfortunately. Older Supra's still command a premium, especially if it's a turbo model. About 10 years ago my buddy wanted a mid 90's turbo one so bad that he flew from Macon to somewhere in Texas and paid like $45. Now they're like 75k.
Fast and the furious ruined any chance of me ever getting one of those cars.

From what I understand, the new Supra is more BMW Z4 than Toyota.

I had a '75 Celica back in the day. Fun little 4 speed.

View attachment 1982817
Those are later style mid 80s wheels on that one. Looks good though. A lady in Perry recently teased us with this same model and then wouldn't sell. I like the late 70s early 80s hatchback and Sunchaser models. The Sunchaser was like this 2 part soft top that was kinda like a Targa top and kinda like a converible.

Government Motors, I don't live in Alabamer, and I don't have any cinder blocks laying around. :p
No cinder blocks in my driveway. ;) I gotta wash the white tacoma though but it is too dang cold.

IMG_4033.JPG
IMG_4034.JPG

Yeah it's crazy. But the early 80s are still somewhat sane. They are just a lot fewer in number for obvious reasons. Of course the low mileage great condition ones are still beyond justification.
Checkout the Infiniti M30 if you can find one. They were available in coupe or ragtop models. They didn't import them long but from what I read it was the closest thing to a Nissan Skyline available in the U.S. back then.
Another lesser known but very fun import was the MR2. I thought they were about the coolest 2 seater around back then. Not the ones from the late 80s but the 90s and up cars. It's like Boxster fun without Porsche parts and labor cost. One of the Lotus models from the early 00s was basically the MR2.

You can't watch disney anymore without there being homo crap in it. What do you watch the weather channel?
I spend a lot of time on Hulu watching Bob's Burgers ,Family Guy American Dad South Park Miami Vice, The Goldbergs, etc. I don't have cable or satellite for that reason among others. Even if I did I wouldn't waste my time on The Weather Channel. They're SO all in on the climate change rhetoric I can't stomach it. While I'm ranting it also pisses me off that there's not one cabl/sat package available that doesn't have ESPN. Why is that?

I spend a lot of time on Hulu watching Bob's Burgers ,Family Guy American Dad South Park Miami Vice, The Goldbergs, etc. I don't have cable or satellite for that reason among others. Even if I did I wouldn't waste my time on The Weather Channel. They're SO all in on the climate change rhetoric I can't stomach it. While I'm ranting it also pisses me off that there's not one cabl/sat package available that doesn't have ESPN. Why is that?
ESPN is a basic channel nowadays. Too many people requested it.

For real fun, drop a JDM turbo engine in one of the older Nissan 240's. I did about 15 complete Japanese drivetrain swaps for my 3 sons when they were in high school, going from a stock normally aspirated KA24E engine to either an SR20DET or RB20/25DET "haul arse" turbo-charged machine. They all learned to do a complete overhaul/rebuild on the engines, swapped transmissions, re-wired all electronics, reprogrammed the ECU/fuel maps, etc., not to mention doing basic automotive maintenance. Several were complete frame-off rebuilds including complete primer/painting.

upload_2019-1-29_11-37-12.png

That was a great way to spend time with my young sons, including going to drift events around Atlanta and drag racing in Montgomery AL. Plus, it kept them from wanting to "upgrade" their new cars by playing around with these old clunkers. It also taught them some hard lessons in life regarding their career paths; guess that is why they are all engineers today.

Back
Top Bottom