• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Toyota Oil Canister Help Please

• 2019 Toyota Sienna
  • Hercules himself installed the plastic filter housing at the last oil change
  • I cracked the (still installed) housing trying to remove it
Any advice for how to remove the seized canister? The oil filter wrench that I got at Advance Auto Parts is slipping, and even with a breaker bar I can't budge the canister before the wrench slips.

Also, should I switch to an aftermarket aluminum canister moving forward, or replace it with the OEM plastic?
Contact ItBeMe ItBeMe He's Resourceful.

buy the OEM filter wrench (its a lot more heavy and study) do you think that would help. Love the OEM tool.

This is why I hate taking my car for oil changes you don't need 1000 foot pounds on an oil filter guys it don't magically shoot off the car lol

Hope you get it fixed!

buy the OEM filter wrench (its a lot more heavy and study) do you think that would help. Love the OEM tool.

This is why I hate taking my car for oil changes you don't need 1000 foot pounds on an oil filter guys it don't magically shoot off the car lol

Hope you get it fixed!
Interestingly, one of the first things I did was call Marietta Toyota parts dept, and they told me there is no official tool, they don’t sell one, & most of their techs use Matco products.

Well, this is the best group of guys I’ve never met. I had a member in this thread reach out and offer to swing by and help me out. Greatly appreciated the offer, sir.

Ultimately though, I decided to have it towed to our mechanic who will take a look at it tomorrow. The edges were rounding off, & there wasn’t enough clearance to get any of the strap wrenches, filter vice grips, or other tools on & leveraged.

Is that filter removal tool on the end of your breaker bar metal or plastic? And did that break or the tabs on the plastic filter housing?

I would dremel the plastic filter housing with a cutting wheel up by the threads, being careful not to go too deep. Score two lines slightly apart until you could fit a screwdriver in far enough to crack the housing and remove it.

Is that filter removal tool on the end of your breaker bar metal or plastic? And did that break or the tabs on the plastic filter housing?

I would dremel the plastic filter housing with a cutting wheel up by the threads, being careful not to go too deep. Score two lines slightly apart until you could fit a screwdriver in far enough to crack the housing and remove it.
The filter tool is metal, & yes, it broke the tabs on the plastic housing. One of the tabs broke clear through the housing, creating the hole that’s disabled the vehicle.

Your dremel method might be the only way to get it off now. I wasn’t feeling brave enough to go down that road though.

This van has 30k miles, all oil changes up to this point have been done at Rick Hendrick Toyota under ToyotaCare (or whatever it’s called), & now I’m wondering if they’ve ever even changed the filter. It took some serious lbs to break the tabs & a hole into that housing.

The filter tool is metal, & yes, it broke the tabs on the plastic housing. One of the tabs broke clear through the housing, creating the hole that’s disabled the vehicle.

Your dremel method might be the only way to get it off now. I wasn’t feeling brave enough to go down that road though.

This van has 30k miles, all oil changes up to this point have been done at Rick Hendrick Toyota under ToyotaCare (or whatever it’s called), & now I’m wondering if they’ve ever even changed the filter. It took some serious lbs to break the tabs & a hole into that housing.
I had a similar situation with the 1st oil change on my wife's Rav4. After much fighting with a long breaker bar and a piece of pipe slipped over that, I was able to break it loose. I think the dealer does it to make you go to them and pay for them to do it. There's no reason whatsoever to tighten it to that extent. I don't understand why they went to that canister design rather than a twist on filter...

Back
Top Bottom