• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Toyota Oil Canister Help Please

I'm not fan of the canister (old cars were like that too), but dealers don't provide training to their employees. Especially when giving "Free" oil changes. Their goal is to get it out the door.

Been said before, drive a screwdriver through both sides of the filter. Then place a large closed end wrench over the screwdriver handle and turn it. Make sure you don't damage anything on the far end where you're driving the blade end of the screwdriver through the filter

Been said before, drive a screwdriver through both sides of the filter. Then place a large closed end wrench over the screwdriver handle and turn it. Make sure you don't damage anything on the far end where you're driving the blade end of the screwdriver through the filter
The newer Toyotas don't use a twist-on can-style oil filter. The screwdriver through the filter trick doesn't work anymore.

1666063699777.png
1666063699777.png
This is what you're dealing with now.

The newer Toyotas don't use a twist-on can-style oil filter. The screwdriver through the filter trick doesn't work anymore.

View attachment 4855079View attachment 4855079
This is what you're dealing with now.
a lot of good answers; but most have not seen this type
my '16 Highlander filter housing is metal and styled like the plastic one
be sure to lube the sealing o-ring before install

Got the van back yesterday. Mechanic was able to remove the plastic shell and replace it with a metal one. Including the new canister, it only ran a little more than $100 in addition to the oil change.

Do I need to be concerned about the 30 seconds or so that it ran while spraying oil? I’d say it lost about 3-4 quarts out of 6 before I shut it down.

Back
Top Bottom