• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tractor

Thinking to sell-upgrade a 2017 Massey 4707 cab, 63 PTO HP, 12x12 shuttle shift, 160 hrs, 931 loader, has 8-ft wide bush hog brand 3-pt hitch rotary cutter.

It’s getting bogged down in my tall grass that’s 3’-8’ tall which has grown another 3 feet in past 5 weeks.. so 85 acres is s-l-o-w going when creeping along at 1mile per hour :lol:

W3tTOMH.jpg

I've worked farm tractors all my life. An old man once told me to get one of the big four, Massey, John Deer, New Holland or Kabota and you'll be good to go. I've never used a tractor larger than 36hp. You get the right one it'll last a life time literally. I can mow about an acre an hour with mine using a 5' bush hog. The growth is usually @7' tall when I mow. And I've mowed down up to 4" diameter trees with it. Note that the equipment isn't designed for that, 1", are the specs. My Dad has a 81' Massey 36hp. He's used a backhoe on it. The machine probably weighs in around 4000lbs. Heavy for that size. Mine is a 01' New Holland 30hp 4x4, weighs @2800lbs with a loader on it. It'll out pull his tractor because of the 4x4. Both are diesel tractors. Just keep in mind if you buy new, you'll be dealing with emissions stuff. Also when I bought my tractor new that it didn't preform that well in the begining. But after I put 50hrs on it, it did much better. And after 200hrs I could do some pretty good work with it. I also went with the R3 tires. Good floatation on creek bottoms and mild enough not to tear up my yard. Those tires also work well on pavement. Put antifreeze in the rear tires for more weight, weight is your friend with a machine that your going to engage the ground with. The antifreeze won't freeze in the winter. I use @ 1gal of fuel per hr working it fairly hard. I'm ashamed to tell you how many acres I maintain with that machine. Buy a good machine once, cry once.....

I've worked farm tractors all my life. An old man once told me to get one of the big four, Massey, John Deer, New Holland or Kabota and you'll be good to go. I've never used a tractor larger than 36hp. You get the right one it'll last a life time literally. I can mow about an acre an hour with mine using a 5' bush hog. The growth is usually @7' tall when I mow. And I've mowed down up to 4" diameter trees with it. Note that the equipment isn't designed for that, 1", are the specs. My Dad has a 81' Massey 36hp. He's used a backhoe on it. The machine probably weighs in around 4000lbs. Heavy for that size. Mine is a 01' New Holland 30hp 4x4, weighs @2800lbs with a loader on it. It'll out pull his tractor because of the 4x4. Both are diesel tractors. Just keep in mind if you buy new, you'll be dealing with emissions stuff. Also when I bought my tractor new that it didn't preform that well in the begining. But after I put 50hrs on it, it did much better. And after 200hrs I could do some pretty good work with it. I also went with the R3 tires. Good floatation on creek bottoms and mild enough not to tear up my yard. Those tires also work well on pavement. Put antifreeze in the rear tires for more weight, weight is your friend with a machine that your going to engage the ground with. The antifreeze won't freeze in the winter. I use @ 1gal of fuel per hr working it fairly hard. I'm ashamed to tell you how many acres I maintain with that machine. Buy a good machine once, cry once.....

All very good reasoning and sound advice, thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom