Training on a budget....

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
A good article in Shooting Illustrated this month.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/4/23/firearm-practice-on-a-budget/

To become competent with your defensive handgun, you must practice. But, practice consumes money and time. Training courses are a way to maximize your time and money because they’re controlled and conducted under the watchful eye of a capable instructor. This is why Gunsite Academy has been in business more than 40 years. However, few of us have a week or $1,500-plus lying around to take advantage of what such a school offers.

Good article.

I'd add that an air-powered pellet pistol can be a good training tool, and lets you practice cheaply and quietly in your basement, garage, or backyard.

I have used two of them recently. One is a "semi-auto" type CO2 powered pellet pistol that has a realistic size and shape, and fits a couple of my carry holsters. The gun is much lighter than a real one, though, and the trigger pull really long and heavy, like one of the worst you'd ever find on a double-action revolver. Still, if you get pretty good at holding that 8 oz. gun steady while muscling through its 15-lb trigger pull, you know you'll be really happy to get back to the firing range and shoot your Glock or whatever with its 5.5 lb. trigger.

The other pellet pistol I have is a single-shot break-barrel model. So the trigger is single-action, and about 5 lbs. in weight with a short stroke. Think of it as a heavy single action trigger, like you might find on a cheap Hi Point pistol or a Mossberg shotgun.
This pistol can't be used for rapid-fire exercises, but you can practice bringing the gun up to the target (presenting the weapon), getting a sight picture (focus on the front sight), and squeezing the trigger as quickly as you can without jerking it. If you do your part, it will shoot 2" groups at 15 yards, and that's as good as you'll ever need to do well in any action pistol shooting match or pistol permit qualification shoot.

Back
Top Bottom