• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trajectory mysteries.

It's a joke.

I would agree that is most likely with the Nikon, but I doubt it for the Nightforce, plus it is doing the same thing when I dial the adjustment, rather than relying on the reticle.

I laughed.

Screenshot_20170128-225403.png
Screenshot_20170128-225115.png
Screenshot_20170128-225106.png
Screenshot_20170128-232550.png

Program says 2.7, but 2 moa low, that means you are still having to dial .7, correct?

Ballistics has been settled science for decades. If the calculations running the programs are correct and all the relevant data is entered correctly, there really shouldn't be any discrepancy beyond environmental and shooter factors.

Unless...

(Just change stove to rifle)

Program says 2.7, but 2 moa low, that means you are still having to dial .7, correct?

Ballistics has been settled science for decades. If the calculations running the programs are correct and all the relevant data is entered correctly, there really shouldn't be any discrepancy beyond environmental and shooter factors.

Unless...

(Just change stove to rifle)
Thus, the mystery. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the shooter. I was able to properly group with two other rifles on the same bench, with the same bipod and bag shooting at the same target within minutes of having this issue. It was actually one rifle before and one rifle after. All three had Nightforce scopes with the MOAR reticle.

1st gun: Bolt action 308 with Nightforce SHV 5x20
2nd gun (problem): M1a with Nightforce SHV 3x10
3rd gun: Bolt action 338 Lapua with Nightforce NXS 5.5x22

To be clear, I was having to hold U4.75 MOA to be on at 300.

I would say that it is something about the way I'm shooting the semi auto M1a as compared to the bolt guns, except I was on at 600 with it. My first thought was shooter error, but it persisted and I was shooting nice tight groups.

When you figure this out, let us know, because its strange and I'd like to know. You didn't change magnification between ranges did you? That's the only thing left I can think of since those are not FFP scopes.

When you figure this out, let us know, because its strange and I'd like to know. You didn't change magnification between ranges did you? That's the only thing left I can think of since those are not FFP scopes.
Nope, same magnification. I double checked.

So far, the only thing I can come up with is Gremlins.

Back
Top Bottom