Trane XR-15 Installed May 2015 Now Needing Cooling Side Expansion Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sowega86

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
Exiled to Southwest Georgia
9   0
Reaction score
For all of the HVAC guys, is the failure of the air handler expansion valve a common occurrence in a nearly new system?

My Trane split (outside HP and attic AH) system specs:

2.5 tons Installed May 2015
Thermostat Model TCONT824AS52DA
Heat Pump Model 4TWR5030G1000AA
Air Handler Model TEM6A0B30H21SA
Accessories Model BAYHTR1510BRKC

The system is still under a parts warranty with 7-3/4 years remaining. But labor and change-out of the freon are real components of the repair. The system is under a yearlong service contract and to save money, today's visit was the Fall tuneup which found the problem. The parts to be replaced are the drier and AH expansion valve plus all new R410-A, in upwards of 8 pounds. Got a ballpark estimate of $470 for the work. Is that estimate reasonable?
Thanks

Service contract doesn't cover?
My original 2 year labor warranty expired in May. The Service contract is $110 per year since my HVAC parts are still under 100% warranty for next 7.75 years, I basically pay for two tune-ups per year.

Am considering putting in a small window unit to temper the house interior until parts arrive. The repair contractor dropped American Standard (Am. Std./Trane) product line so getting parts faster just got slower. I'm intentionally not running the HVAC but a couple times per day to prevent damage to the compressor. Any thoughts?

You don't have too add new freon to change an expansion valve and drier. They should be able to pump the system down and not loose any gas. At worst recover it into a recovery cylinder and recharge.

Got a call this morning that the parts are now ordered and when arrive, they plan to install asap. In the interim, I purchased and installed an 8000 BTU GE Window AC unit from Sam's and it's keeping the bedrooms cool and has lowered the house humidity considerably, from 77% to 54%. With ceiling fans and portable fans running along side of the window unit, the house is almost comfortable. And, when the HVAC goes back online, I may run the unit at night as my family prefers cooler sleeping temps and electricity costs here are 8 cents per KWH.

I think you are being scammed. Was there a cooling issue before the guy came to "tune it up"? Did he say what the problem was with it? Short of Freon leaking out or a blockage not much is going to render a expansion valve in-operative. They are a really simple part that has ZERO moving parts.

I thought nothing ran like a Trane!!!
Sux man but I feel ur pain.
Just had a double heat pump replacement back in April. Really ****ed my gun funds!
Best of luck.

I think you are being scammed. Was there a cooling issue before the guy came to "tune it up"? Did he say what the problem was with it? Short of Freon leaking out or a blockage not much is going to render a expansion valve in-operative. They are a really simple part that has ZERO moving parts.

It's no scam. In lieu of paying for a separate "emergency service call" it was better to go ahead and have the guy do the Fall tune-up since I had already paid for that. I figured he would find the problem during that service and he did. The system wasn't cooling well last weekend- the thermostat could not cool below 78F and it became difficult to maintain that so I shut it down.

The window unit is running like a champ. On low cool and with ceiling fans and portable fans running, the house (1600 sqf ) today is 78F with 55% humidity, and the master bedroom is a balmy 74F. Went ahead and bought a 3 yr extended warranty on the window unit yesterday. Plan to experiment running both when the HVAC is back on line. I bet I can lower the power bill a few notches.

And for those who remember the Trane commercials, mine is derailed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom