• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trane XR-15 Installed May 2015 Now Needing Cooling Side Expansion Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am currently working on my 4 ton goodman, a line on the reversing valve blew. Lost all freon (r22). If you have a system with r410 I believe you have a txv installed on the inside air handler. It acts like a expansion valve and should have a temp bulb on it. Part is about 100 bucks. You don't need to pump down the system, you would close the high side valve and let the compressor suck everything into the condenser then shut down the low side. Replace txv suck down the line set and add maybe a pound of freon.
I would think 300-400 is a fair price, twice the cost of the part for labor and add freon.
The txv has a high failure rate, the new one should last a lot longer, but something else will eventually let go.
No way a expert......just a tractor mechanic.

Well, I am currently working on my 4 ton goodman, a line on the reversing valve blew. Lost all freon (r22). If you have a system with r410 I believe you have a txv installed on the inside air handler. It acts like a expansion valve and should have a temp bulb on it. Part is about 100 bucks. You don't need to pump down the system, you would close the high side valve and let the compressor suck everything into the condenser then shut down the low side. Replace txv suck down the line set and add maybe a pound of freon.
I would think 300-400 is a fair price, twice the cost of the part for labor and add freon.
The txv has a high failure rate, the new one should last a lot longer, but something else will eventually let go.
No way a expert......just a tractor mechanic.

Good information- I'm of the opinion that the freon should be captured and only add what is needed to bring to capacity. The repair contractor advised that it's their experience that the installer did not purge the system with nitrogen prior to adding the R410A and soot from solder or welds contributed to TXV failure.

R22 is quite expensive. And, doesn't the Goodman have the Lifetime Warranty on Parts? I considered one but had bad experience with one in a second home I bought. After a multitude of failures (always in the heat of summer) and part replacement, it ran well without giving any more trouble. Then I sold the house.

From what I understand, not purging with nitrogen creates its own problems, when you braze the joints together it creates scale on the outside and on the inside. If you purge with nitrogen (or another inert gas) this shields the copper from the oxygen and does not create scale on the inside. As far as the txv I believe Copeland was using some type of corrosion preventive compound that reacts with the oil in the compressor and slugs up the valve.
I think that there is a service bulletin on that and you might want to check with your installer.
But you are correct, if not purged and evacuated it would need pumped down and vacuumed down. That would explain the extra cost. Next time, if the txv goes bad look at pumping down your system with the condenser compressor.
Yes goodman has a ten year warranty, 78 bucks for a reversing valve that might be under warranty, changing both txvs (since I an in the system) 170 bucks and...........280oz of r22 yea that's 17.5 lbs, just because of a 1/8 line breaking.
But by no means a hvac expert, just a tractor mechanic.

Got it repaired today and as you guys reported, it's protocol to back the 410A into the condenser which is what the two guys did. The drier was attached to the condenser and it was not replaced. The expansion valve is mechanical and is bolt-on in the air handler- see pic. After the expansion valve was installed they purged with nitrogen and then ran the vacuum pump to clear out any moisture. Then released the freon and after cycling and checking for mfg specs., they were done. 2.5 hours work. They need to amend the quoted bill as it included replacing 8 pounds of the R410A and labor to install a new drier which were not performed.

It's cool again after 8 days. Thanks for all of the helpful input.

Trane Expansion Valve in AH.jpg

Glad it worked out and cheaper too. Parts just came in for mine today, pulling a vacuum now.
Hopefully cool tonight, wife is getting cranky, maybe it's me (lol).

copeland was using a rust inhibiter that caused all the txt malfunctions. Always purge the system with nitrogen while soldering,then pressure test with nitrogen after done. If the system holds pressure release it and pull a vacuum to 500 microns.

Last time I was in the downtown Atlanta branch of Trane I was told that they had over 2000 warranty TXV's returned to that branch alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom