• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Transmission flush vs drain & fill, opinions wanted

I have a tundra with 120000+ miles. I have considered changing the filter but don't know if I would do more harm than good.
The Toyotas usually use a screen and I'd say just drain and fill.
How black is the fluid now?
I wouldn't even worry with dropping the pan assuming it has a drain plug.

If a pan is accessible I’d drop it. After a few heavy pulls and 30k miles with the 7.3 the pan has bad residue. After a chem bath , new filter and fresh dope she still shifts appropriately.

Well a flush on any car isnt what I consider high pressure 20-30 psi max and the machine is only pumping in what the the machine is taking out.

But I am a drain and fill guy keep up with it every 20-30k and you won't have to worry about any fluid related damage.

Just the kind of thing that I knew I don't know, thanks. So even that standard issue 20-30 psi flush is enough to potentially do the damage that waves people off from doing transmission flushes altogether?

I'm 100% on board with the 20-30k drain and fill, it's the starting blind at 55k that led me to ask the audience here. (Also got 147k on my 530i with no record of any fluid changes besides a check and top-off 3 years ago. I've yet to muster the guts to drop the pan and go for it...)

Just the kind of thing that I knew I don't know, thanks. So even that standard issue 20-30 psi flush is enough to potentially do the damage that waves people off from doing transmission flushes altogether?

I'm 100% on board with the 20-30k drain and fill, it's the starting blind at 55k that led me to ask the audience here. (Also got 147k on my 530i with no record of any fluid changes besides a check and top-off 3 years ago. I've yet to muster the guts to drop the pan and go for it...)
Its not the pressure, its the dregs that are floating around in the flush machine/lines/filter etc. The flush machine receives fluid from the trans pump and you adjust the machine once its running to match fluid input/output. The output from the machine pumps fluid right to the sump in the pan of the trans. Pressure from the machine does no damage other than make a mess on the floor if you overfill.

As far as starting at 55k... I bought my ‘13 Accord with 49k on it. It had never been changed. Fluid was not burnt though. It was used and old but not fried. Been dropping and adding 3-4 qts ever since with buttery smooth shifts. Its the burnt trans fluid that you have to watch out for. If you pull the stick and its dark dark red or almost black, thats when you ask yourself if you feel lucky.

Any Fluid brand & type recommendations for 02 z71 5.3 with 210k
Planning to drain & fill. Looked for Dexron III but gOOGle keeps returning Dexron VI.
Thanks in Advance
While dex 6 supersedes any dexrons previous to it, Id run 3 if thats what you’ve been using. You’re always safe to run the oem type. But changing to synthetic at 210k might be risky. You can get dex 3 all day at walmart.

Back
Top Bottom