• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Transmission flush

All I've ever done was pull the pan, change the filter and refill, but my vehicles are 2000's. Wasn't sure about newer stuff. Changed the fluid in my 65 Bonneville decades ago and the trans took a dump shortly after.

NO FLUSH
change the filter if possible, refill with OE fluid. DO NOT use a Multi Vehicle fluid from the parts store. Get the correct fluid from the dealer. All these manufacturers have gone to special proprietary fluids. And if you have a CVT trans you can seriously screw it up with the wrong fluid

All I've ever done was pull the pan, change the filter and refill, but my vehicles are 2000's. Wasn't sure about newer stuff. Changed the fluid in my 65 Bonneville decades ago and the trans took a dump shortly after.
Everytime/twice...I've had a transmission flushed, it died.
F all that...drive it till it falls out in the dam street.

change the fluid and filter(if possible) every 60K and it will last forever. My '03 Avalanche has 240K on it, fluid and filter every 2 years religiously.
Naw...my bad...I aint talkin bout changin the fluid and filter...I'm talkin bout havin it flushed.

Ive said this before in other threads. If the shops would keep their equip clean, flushing wouldnt be an issue. We had a motorvac flush unit and I did lots of cars, vans, and trucks (most with 2-300k miles and original trans) with zero issues. But we kept the flush and fittings clean as a whistle.

As for Op goes, drop and fill.

If you flush or exchange the fluid in your transmission and it fails it was already toast. Changing the fluid, regardless of method i.e. drain and fill or flush does not damage the friction material on the clutches.
Yes some flush systems (those that use a pump) can cause issue like leaking seals, and some solvent based "cleaners" can damage or degrade the fluid over time.
Fluid changes are preventative maintenance. Changing the oil and filter in an engine with a bad rod bearing won't make it get better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom