• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

travel thru Illinois with a handgun

bilgerat

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
54   0
Reaction score
Planing a trip to Northern Missouri this fall and will be driving thru Illinois for a while. Whats the laws on carrying a pistol in a truck thru their state? I looked on their state website but its really confusing.

Atlanta>Chattanooga>Nashville>Paducah>Mt. Vernon>St. Louis

You can do Paducah to St. Louis in about 3 hours....carefully, good thing its all rural driving, Mt. Vernon is smaller than Gainesville, GA and is the only metro area. Last 10 miles thru East St. Louis is the most dangerous. Get in Missouri and turn north. Check Missouri gun regs too.

I don't think you can carry a loaded gun in a vehicle in IL, and gun, mags and ammo have to be in separate locations and maybe even locked in a case. Now you know why I left in 1987.

I just returned from Southern Illinois. Presuming you have a valid permit in Georgia you are good to go as long as your pistol is carried on your person while in your vehicle and you remain in the vehicle while in the state of Illinois.
My suggestion is to make any stops you need to make in Paducah, then don’t make any stops until you cross into Missouri. There is road construction on I 57 from Metropolis, IL to north of Marion, IL.

If you stop and exit your vehicle, Illinois law requires you proceed immediately to the trunk of your vehicle, remove your pistol from the holster, unload it, secure the ammo separately from your pistol and to place your pistol in a lock box.

dont have a Ga permit but will before I leave. It expired a few years ago ad I just havent found the time to go get it

Southern Illinois is a lot more laid back than the areas around Chicago but they still take a dim view of private citizens toting firearms, more so folks from other states that ignore their rules.

Don’t attract attention to yourself and you can ease through the state with no issues. The area from Shiloh to East St. Louis has built up quite a bit over the past 15 years and there’s lots of local cops in those areas.

Southern Illinois is a lot more laid back than the areas around Chicago but they still take a dim view of private citizens toting firearms, more so folks from other states that ignore their rules.

Don’t attract attention to yourself and you can ease through the state with no issues. The area from Shiloh to East St. Louis has built up quite a bit over the past 15 years and there’s lots of local cops in those areas.
Check your tags, lights, blinkers, etc., don't speed (too much or so as to be noticed). Don't give them an excuse to pull you over other than your plates being from a "free State."

Back
Top Bottom