• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Travel type trailer as a 1 to 2 year living setup

a "Park Model" RV trailer is generally the largest trailer-home that's made at 400 sq feet and they hold their value well, maybe even increase if kept in good condition.

Although they have wheels, tag registration and can be transported, they are generally placed for long-term park use due to their large size.

They are more commonly seen/found in vacation, retirement and elderly communities.

Keyword search: Park Model RV's
I had a park model set up at the beach. It has regular plumbing fixtures. Drains directly into septic tank. This means no gray or black water tanks to deal with. We had a small out building that had a washer and dryer in it. It’s great if you ain’t pulling it around for awhile.
I also stayed in a bumper pull camper while working out of town. Black water tanks fill up at the worse times. Below freezing, late at night, etc. You would have to keep a eye on it.

A toy hauler makes the most sense to me. You can have a washer, dryer and still have plenty of storage in the back. Just remember your going to be selling the travel trailer and put the pole barn where you think you want it.

My son currently lives at home. He recently graduated from college. Landed his first job, working remotely for a firm up in CT. He's doing great. Getting paid a decent wage and benefits, liking his job, learning a lot, getting good feedback from his employer and the employer's clients about his performance.

The next logical step is him getting his own place. He's engaged. He and his fiancee have talked about renting a small house somewhere nearby; he's trying to avoid apartment living. Doesn't care to have neighbors that close. Problem is, rental home pickings are awful and overpriced relative to what they've been in recent years. They've talked about moving down towards Gainesville or up toward Anderson, where there are more choices, but the rentals are either very pricey, or the neighborhoods are iffy. We live in the sticks and have acreage. We've told him we'd carve off a piece of our property for a homesite for them, if they ever want to build here. They are open to that, but they are probably at least a few years away from being ready.

One of the ideas we've kicked around is a travel trailer, set up somewhere on the property, far enough away that they (and we) have privacy, but close enough that we could run water, internet, and electrical to them. I can dig and install a dedicated septic system; our county has stated they will permit an RV/electrical/septic setup that is not being rented out. We've also discused, in the same cleared space in the woods, a small shed converted to a dedicated office space for him, so he wouldn't have to live and work in the same 250 sq. ft. every day.

Considering what he'd spend on rent over a couple of years, he could probably get himself a nice travel trailer, sell it when he's done with it, and come out substantially ahead versus rent.

I've never bought or owned a camper / trailer, and need some practical education about them. Probably something 32' or longer, with an enclosed master and bathroom, kitchen, dinnett, and small living area. Looking for feedback on the pitfalls of both new and used. I understand depreciation on new ones is big. How maintenance intensive are used models? I have above average DIY skills. Are there brands that should be avoided altogether because of known quality issues?
Only things I would point out is:
1) Seal everything a few times a year, not a huge amount or mess if you keep up with it. They will swell and shrink even if not moving.
2) After a year or so use that rust converting paint on the under carriage.
3) If you have water hooked up and not using the tanks, cycle through them a couple times a year to keep algae and other sentiments from setting up.

This is all for resale or use after the stay. I recently bought a toy hauler and got for a fraction of its worth. It was used as a work site dwelling and the people living inside did not do these things. I picked it up for about 1/4 the price of what these go for even in poor shape. Wasn‘t terribly expensive to repair because I have some skill. But to have had it professionally repaired would have been too expensive to be remotely cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom