• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Traveling north, leave the gun home?

shadow102

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
6   0
Reaction score
Hey guys I will be traveling north later this week and was looking for a little insight on what to do. The final destination is north jersey (I know but I have family there that refuses to leave that state), from what I can find it is pretty much impossible for me to legally enter the state with a pistol in my car. Do I just say screw it and hide the pistol well (I have a lock box with a steel cable in the car as well) or do I hope for the best and rely on my edc knife should things go down?

On a lighter note being that I have only been carrying since the beginning of the year is struck me as odd how defenseless you start feeling when it seems you have no ability to protect yourself.

I always call the state patrol of each state that I travel through to see what the reciprocation laws are. They will tell you how you can carry if you have ccw or not

If you do take it LEAVE IT IN THE CAR. Lock it up and forget about it. I may or may not have been to NY under similar conditions.
They aren't kidding around up there, 1 hollow point will ruin your life.

Do what you have to do to protect yourself and your family.

reciprocity.png

I am originally from the western Chicago suburbs. It's a very backwards state in terms of the 2nd Amendment. I was thinking about this today, since I am headed back for a family visit on Wednesday. The gun will stay home, but the Kershaw Blur is taking a ride with me. Fortunately, the numerous restrictive gun laws have made the need for either unnecessary, I'm sure.

I always subscribe to the "better to have it and not need it" school of thought but the reality is that getting caught with a pistol in a northeastern blue state carries with it the actual possibility of a prison sentence. While that may not be a deterrent to your average revolving door jail thug, I don't want to spend a single night in a Boston jail, let alone a year or two in Bay State.

When we visit my girl's family in MA we fly and the guns stay home. There's always a couple of lockback folders in my checked luggage that get slipped into a pocket upon arrival. That and situational awareness along with a general distrust of my fellow man have gotten us this far.

Back
Top Bottom