• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tree services don't want small jobs I guess?

With all due respect, you’re dealing with a segment of the population that is largely unemployable. They’re not looking for jobs if they got cash and/or drugs for the weekend. Buy the gear and do it yourself. You can learn their career over the course of several hours.
Sure, Cletus and his buddies. Haven’t seen that with reputable companies & climbers. Climbing is the high.

I’d pass on scaling a 50ft pine, unexperienced. Slid down one tree about 10 ft a few years ago, I said **** that!

In my limited experience most contractors in general don't want small jobs. You have fixed costs right, quoting the job, gas to the site, paying your people, rolling trucks. Its much easier to do a 2,000 TREE job, than four 500 dollar jobs (cause all your fixed costs go up right?).

contractors like that, don't' want to repair your roof, they only want to do FULL roofs.

People don't' want to paint trim on a house they only want to paint the whole house.

Also if it is a small job usually to make it worth their time (opportunity costs), they charge you like its a big job.

Now not saying you can't find what you need, but it does take more leg work on your end.

Good Luck and stay safe.

Just cut it yourself….if it lands on a house, run inside and call the insurance and say …”I hired this guy, he cut on it and it fell wrong then he ran away ! “

Crackhead career. OP needs to buy a chainsaw. If you got some solid folks, and I am sure there are some out there, throw up some contact info and get it hooked up. Prove me wrong. I am completely unimpressed about 50’ trees and don’t give 2 ****s about them.
Done much tree climbing? With a chainsaw, rope and pulleys hanging off your belt?

With all due respect, you’re dealing with a segment of the population that is largely unemployable. They’re not looking for jobs if they got cash and/or drugs for the weekend. Buy the gear and do it yourself. You can learn their career over the course of several hours.
This statement is partly true , most big Tree Co's in my area NW ATL , use all Hispanic labor ' they do a great job ' BET! the owners are making $ hand over fist . As for doing it himself , NOT! ; I guess if I was 18-25y/o & 5-foot 2 inches and had the basic equipment it may be worth a try . Hmmmmmm..../ Naaaaaaa I tale that back ; I'd let someone else with Ins , do it .

Or at least the bigger operations don't. I get it, not worth it to haul a crane and other equipment for one tree....

I've had two different reputable tree companies in middle GA come out to look at a 70ish ft tall dying pine(pine beetles) in my back yard. I am in a subdivision with a fenced in yard so access is a little tougher but I'm sure they do it all the time and I have a gate. Neither one of them wanted to do it because it's not worth their time to bring out their equipment with diesel costs etc. They told me to find a guy who'd be willing to climb it and just top it down over my back fence. I'm sure if I said take all the pines down, about 6 in total they might agree, but that's the only one that needs to come down right now.

So anybody know somebody who's licensed and insured but also willing to do small jobs like that in middle GA?
If the tree is near a utility pole lines call the elec company they will come out

Nope I don’t. But next month I will go cut some trees for someone. Because when the guys who do it for a living won’t show, you got to figure out something.
Personally, I would hire a reputable tree company.
Good luck with your adventure, check back in an let us know how it goes.

Nope I don’t. But next month I will go cut some trees for someone. Because when the guys who do it for a living won’t show, you got to figure out something.
Just do some research first, my aunt's second husband died cutting down trees clearing land to build a cabin on the back of his property. Had three trees that were intertwined up top. Cut number one nothing, cut number two nothing, cut number three, tree came for him, he jumped out of the way and got crushed by tree #2.... while my aunt watched.

Back
Top Bottom