• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trees and property lines, what's reasonable?

BCM1323654788

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
24   0
Reaction score
So what's the deal with trees and property lines?

My neighbor (cool guy, retired, spends a lot of time in his yard) has mostly grass in his backyard and he's mentioned he gets tired of the tree limbs that fall off my trees because he has to pick them up.

I guess it's just a natural process of having trees, they are healthy, but occasionally they drop dead limbs, and seasonally they will drop leaves and other things like acorns or sticker balls.

I don't mind cutting them back a little, but I can't control what they drop without cutting them down. I don't want to cut them down since they are big and I like them.

I think he's a little ocd about his yard, but overall he's a cool guy and I like the friendship we have since I've been here (about a month).

This is my first time owning a house with its own yard and my first complaint of my trees dropping limbs onto someone's yard.

To his credit, he'd probably help me with anything I asked of him and he enjoys being my neighbor and vice versa. He helped me unclog one of my gutters yesterday.

There are only a few trees that overhang the property line and drop stuff onto his lawn. They are full grown trees and I couldn't possibly trim them all the way back to the property line. There will have to be some overhang, but I don't mind trimming the limbs near the bottom.

What are the "rules"?

Any suggestions?

No HOA out here, and we both have about 1.5-2.0 acre lots, lots of room, and no potential for falling and damaging property, only the dead limbs, etc. that concern him.

Thanks!

lol yea, one big one in the back that's near the line. I'd really like to fix the issue without having to remove the trees.
I'm not a lawyer. My understanding is you are responsible for what comes from your property outside of acts of God. Meaning, a dead tree you know about falls on your neighbor's house, you have a problem. Leaves in his yard... GLWS.
Anyone who allows sweet gum trees to grow in their yard should be hung by the toe nails. Course I'm a soft touch for giving neighbors a break that way.

If the limbs fall into his property they are his problem. Work for a tree service. We cut limbs off trees that hang over property lines all the time. He can just have the portion of the tree that's on his property removed.

Only way you are responsible is if he notifies you via mail that you have dead or hazardous trees or limbs.

Even if the healthy trees/limbs cause damage, you are not at fault.

BUT, if it is a Sweetgum, time for removal, they are miserable trees to have, just wait till it drops its little treasures for you to ride/run/walk over........

Back
Top Bottom