• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trespassers on Private Property

I have to agree with most folks about hunkering down and calling the cops. This reminds me of that ODT member who called the cops on some dope heads who parked in front of his apartment. You don't know what they are there for, but they aren't an immediate threat to you. You grab a gun (or two), take a vantage point, and call the authorities. If things go south, you are somewhat prepared, and the popo should already be on the way since you reported it (you documented a serious issue at your house first).

My brother told me of a time where a couple (4) teens randomly pulled into his driveway to get lucky around 1am. His alarm had gone off about 2 weeks earlier at about 2 am and he was thinking they had come back. His cars are parked in his garage, so everyone thinks they are not home. He saw the headlights, grabbed his gun and called the cops and observed their movements from a second floor window while the family took refuge in a back room area. About 9 minutes later, two cops show up with the spotlight. He said the look on the teens faces was priceless. I'd hate to think what would have happened if he tried to go out there and confront them in the car.

Late to the conversation, but I'm curious as to how you are going to "hold someone at gun point" that doesn't want to be held? What if they say "f" you and back down the drive way to leave? Are you prepared to shoot them to keep them from leaving? Are you prepared to explain how you used deadly force on someone who at that moment presented no threat to you?

Are you prepared to engage in a gunfight with someone who arguably has been threatened with deadly force, and feels that they have the right to defend themselves?

All of the macho men (and women) here need to understand that simply being on someone's property without permission is not a crime in Georgia. It's not a criminal act. It doesn't matter how many signs you have, or what kind of fences you put up. So being as it's not a criminal act, you have no right to implement a "citizen's arrest."
When i ran out there, they have pulled off the drive into a turn around and i was standing in their path/beside their truck briefly conversating. if they had tried to run me over, I'm not sure what i would have done. probly jumped outta the way and ran for my truck. Were finally getting to some law tho if what you say is correct, Your saying there is no such thing as criminal trespassing ? I know thats bs cause ive gotten the charge once when i was on a property and the owner wasn't on site and i didnt have a letter. it was cleared up tho. but if the charge doesn't exist how did i get it temporarily ?

When i ran out there, they have pulled off the drive into a turn around and i was standing in their path to leave. if they had tried to run me over, I'm not sure what i would have done. probly jumped outta the way and ran for my truck. Were finally getting to some law tho if what you say is correct, Your saying there is no such thing as criminal trespassing ? I know thats bs cause ive gotten the charge once when i was on a hunting property and the owner wasn't on site and i didnt have a letter. it was cleared up tho. but if the charge doesn't exist how did i get it temporarily ?
You must have written permission to hunt land you don't own. That is law. I'm not sure about whether not the oft repeated "tresspassing isn't a crime unless warned previously" is correct or what statute covers it.
You asked in the original post "what would you do"... in retrospect, I'm curious if you feel your actions were safe. Not sure I'd confront people under the same situation and expose myself and give up my concealment. You could have been shot, and quick like, but I get being PO'd... believe me.

You must have written permission to hunt land you don't own. That is law. I'm not sure about whether not the oft repeated "tresspassing isn't a crime unless warned previously" is correct or what statute covers it.
You asked in the original post "what would you do"... in retrospect, I'm curious if you feel your actions were safe. Not sure I'd confront people under the same situation and expose myself and give up my concealment. You could have been shot, and quick like, but I get being PO'd... believe me.
I did not reveal any weapon. it was iwb hidden g43. we weren't hunting i misspoke, friend and i were riding 4wheelers. idk if theres a difference in the law book but we both got criminal trespassing, tho we had permission to be there. was it safe for me to run out there ? of course not, its just the way it went down. i should have have called the cops then observed, then followed in my truck if they left. They realized this wasn't the house to rob real quick tho

i never said anything about shooting anybody. i said that cwp holders should be able to hold trespassers at gunpoint if needed, until police arrive.
Yes, I was referring to the couple of posts where members almost seem to want to shoot someone just for trespassing.

1. You don''t need written permission to hunt land you don't own. You only need written permission for land that is posted with signs.

2. Simply trespassing on someone's land is not a crime. Hunting or fishing on lands of another without permission is a specific crime. In fact one can be guilty of hunting on lands of another without permission, and not be trespassing. That's why you seldom see a person charged with both crimes.

I wouldn't be happy about someone on my propertybut I wouldn't shoot them or endanger them if they weren't actively threatening me or someone else. You'd have an uphill battle in court if you did.

1. You don''t need written permission to hunt land you don't own. You only need written permission for land that is posted with signs.

2. Simply trespassing on someone's land is not a crime. Hunting or fishing on lands of another without permission is a specific crime. In fact one can be guilty of hunting on lands of another without permission, and not be trespassing. That's why you seldom see a person charged with both crimes.

G gh1950 & GeauxLSU GeauxLSU - Here in Forsyth county back in the 70's & 80's there were plenty of places to hunt around my house, nowadays not so much.

Now using #1 above with the stipulation that it's not posted, that would change things for me - maybe. I never understood that if it wasn't posted it was ok to hunt. I guess I never read much past written permission....

I'm just checking with you both, I know GeauxLSU personally and I know he keeps up with things better than me and gh1950 do you have anywhere I can see this in writing? I'm too old to get in trouble :becky:, but this could be a BIG difference for me.

Please let me know. Thanks, Biker_Bll

Back
Top Bottom