• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trespassers on Private Property

Correct. We have had some issues with people driving down a field road on our property. Most of them were apologetic and have left with no issues, but my mother in law had to call law enforcement before and it was explained to her that signs have no legal weight regarding trespassing. A person has to be informed before it would stick.
As I've tried to point out, it's the same law that pertains to "no guns" signs.

Hey guys and gals. after an early night, i got up at 1 am to catalogue all the slabs i have listed. at 3:20am a truck came up the driveway down my long private gravel driveway. Thankfully i was up, dressed, packing and in/out of the garage. As i saw the lights, and heard all the dogs doing crazy i looked out the window and saw this truck turned into a turnout about to back around then drive out i assume, so the headlights were not facing me. I ran down 100ish feet real quick to confront. They told me they were looking at realestate properties.. So i said its 3am ?!?! woman driving, guy in passenger seat with a headlamp on his head. After a minute of expressing my frustration of them trespassing i told them i was taking a picture of their tag before they leave. Amidst all of this they said " dont shoot " (they could not see my g43). So i tried to call non emergency line but it sent me to k9 so i figured they may be closed. i waited till 6:30 to call the police and i told them what happened and gave them the tag# and told the officer what happened, gave my information and he told me they would run the tag and deal with it according. The cop seemed very confused with why i would want their plate run and asked me why and told me they dont give out information. I said i do not need information, but would be happy if they run the tag like they always do on a pullover to make sure there not dealing with criminals. Will they , who knows. He said i should have called the police when it happened.

That brings me to my question for you law gurus. I expressed to the officer that to call the police while they are there would just cause them to speed off, etc so i asked can i hold them at gunpoint with a light ( so i can make sure they weren't reaching for anything in the vehicle) and he said yes. I said are you sure thats not false imprisonment ? He didnt answer me and distracted me with asking the vehicle color. Then asked am i sure i want to risk a potential gunfight ? I replied, Yes.

~ So, if i am on my private property and someone comes trespassing all the way my 2000ft gravel drive to my house and there are no trespassing signs. and if i feel like they are shady like this was, can i hold them at gunpoint and make them get out of the vehicle, hands on the car, then make the call to 911 as i hold pistol/light in one hand and phone in the other ?

Sorry if my grammar isn't very well and may sound jarbled. ive had a bad experience back in the day with a few young kids robbed my moms house, and on the 3rd time i showed up and saw 3 of them running from the house with my backpacks on. the getaway driver saw me pulling in ( another long driveway) and he dipped out leaving one of the kids that went for the car stranded in a tall grass field. so i pulled up, slammed truck in park and jumped out with a shotgun and held him with his hands high until cops came. they told me i was awesome, but he clearly had my backpack on and it was the 3rd robbery, whereas this morning was 2 crack/meth heads casing my house.

If you took the time to read this i appreciate that and any knowledge legally and/or tactically that would be the best thing to do in this scenario. Im thinking a tlr-hl with strobe on my g19, or p2000(just to make AD less likely), maybe i should stick with tried and true X300 ultra ( my x400 has never failed me ).

The tag is RZZ6707 Dodge Dakota older model extended cab for any of you LEO that might want to look into it yourself, or any one else in the woodstock over to sandy plains/92 area to keep your eyes out for these people.

Thanks in advance for any advice

I have not read every post here, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. Are you involved in any current/active litigation (insurance claims or domestic actions), or any reason someone may be trying to repo something on your property? The people in the truck could have been private investigators, trying to get a look at the conditions at the top of your property under the cover of darkness, in order to identify vehicles and tag numbers for later investigative efforts. I don't know how well your property is marked, but they may not have intended to check your address at all, but perhaps a neighbor's.

Get a gate and cameras.

As fun as it is to confront just call 911 immediately and wait and watch what they do.
Dont let them see you and protect yourself and family if it escalates to a B&E situation.
If they step foot in your home it's time to open up whatever whoop ass you have at your disposal.

I have not read every post here, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. Are you involved in any current/active litigation (insurance claims or domestic actions), or any reason someone may be trying to repo something on your property? The people in the truck could have been private investigators, trying to get a look at the conditions at the top of your property under the cover of darkness, in order to identify vehicles and tag numbers for later investigative efforts. I don't know how well your property is marked, but they may not have intended to check your address at all, but perhaps a neighbor's.

This is all correct. It could have easily been your neighbor cosigned for their kid's car and they were going to repo it. They will check all know addresses looking for the property. The light would be for checking VIN numbers.

It was probably folks up to no good though, and 911 would have been the best overall response. You just never know though. Don't be quick to jump to any conclusion, and you have every right to protect your family and property.

Used to live in Tennessee. Had a very good friend with a long 3000' + private driveway, about half way down the drive he had a place to turn around with a 4x8 sheet of plywood lighted sign painted white mounted on 4x4's with these words painted in black on it "If your not invited here turn your ass around right now. Bad dogs, dangerous owner" It worked, never had a problem to my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom