• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trespassing while Fishing question

What about if you are floating in the middle on a raft/tube and have an anchor down to hold you to one spot?
Technically trespassing according to the DNR. The DNR can write you a ticket for trespassing or fishing without permission if you are simply anchored down on river bed that is owned privately.

However, I do know for a fact the prosecutor in Meriwether County will just throw the charge out.

recently having trouble with trespassers on a creek that the DNR stocks Trout (they come from Cobb and Fulton)
most fish while standing on the bridge

Am I correct in assuming
that if you are in a flowing creek that goes through Private property
and you feet are on the ground you are trespassing
trespassing
and
if you are floating on the water not touching the ground it is not trespassing
still trespassing if both sides of the creek are owned by one owner, or both owners post it

Not clear how fishing from the bridge enters into the question. The public can fish from the bridge or under the bridge to the edge of the right of way, where the waterway becomes private property again.

unlike some states, the public cannot use the bridge to gain access to the private waters.

For all of you who say you can "float on through" because the water is owned by the state, I suggest you read the Georgia Supreme Court case
Givens v. Ichauway, Inc.

The Supremes say "it just ain't so."

Back
Top Bottom