• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trimming question

SamSamson

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
107   1
Reaction score
Im loading 7.08 and my manual shows trim to length 2.025 and max to 2.035. My prior handloaded cases are good but I bought a box last time at the range and they are all shorter than the trim to length of 2.025. They range from 2.007 to 2.020. My question is will this hurt anything? I did notice at the range that my handloads,[theyre my first 7.08s and I was doing the ladder test] were much better than the ones I bought. The other difference was the bullets in my handloads were 140gr nosler accubond and the store bought were 140gr softpoint. I always appreciate the info from you experienced loaders on here. Thanks in advance.

If it's under max OAL you should be good. Unless you've got a very tight chamber, you shouldn"t see too much variation due to length if youve got decent dies or are running a mandrel to help control neck tension.

I agree, under max OAL shouldn't be a problem. But as you zero in on your ideal load, you'll probably want to use cases you can trim to the same length to eliminate one more variable in consistent loading.

It may depend on if you are crimping or not. With no crimp it shouldn't matter. If you are using a Lee collet crimp die, then you need to make sure the case is long enough for the die to grab it. If you are taper crimping or roll crimping, if the lengths are not consistent, you may not get a consistent crimp.

Rosewood

It may depend on if you are crimping or not. With no crimp it shouldn't matter. If you are using a Lee collet crimp die, then you need to make sure the case is long enough for the die to grab it. If you are taper crimping or roll crimping, if the lengths are not consistent, you may not get a consistent crimp.

Rosewood
Thanks, not crimping them.

A good rule to go by is to trim all of your brass to the shortest length brass you have in that batch. Same length brass helps keep neck tension equal, which helps accuracy. Especially if you are crimping.

Back
Top Bottom