• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble seeing your sights? Chime in please!

Pistols no problem. Rear aperture on a military rifle? I get dang "line" in my sight picture. No matter the diameter of the aperture. It slices my sight picture like a prism so I have to "decide" which target I'm going to shoot. I am shooting master scores but I think with a clear sight picture I could do better. I have scratches on both right and left lenses.

I have had a "cracked lens" line with peep sights for 10+ years. You are the first person I have run across that has experienced it as well. It is the reason there is a red dot on my Garand. It is a shame, cause I shot irons very well for more than 40 years.

With pistol sights, I can see the front sight or the target, not both.

Pistols no problem. Rear aperture on a military rifle? I get dang "line" in my sight picture. No matter the diameter of the aperture. It slices my sight picture like a prism so I have to "decide" which target I'm going to shoot. I am shooting master scores but I think with a clear sight picture I could do better. I have scratches on both right and left lenses.

It does sound like this might be due to the scratches on the lenses. When I make shooting glasses for high power shooters who are going to be right up on the rear sight, I use a inexpensive lens without a bunch of bells and whistles so they can get multiple lenses and switch them out if they get scratched. This works really well if you have a frame that doesn't need to be heated to insert lenses or if you use knobloch style glasses.

Do you get this "line" without glasses?

I have had a "cracked lens" line with peep sights for 10+ years. You are the first person I have run across that has experienced it as well. It is the reason there is a red dot on my Garand. It is a shame, cause I shot irons very well for more than 40 years.

With pistol sights, I can see the front sight or the target, not both.
That's where I'm very fortunate. I can see the rear sight, the front and the target when pistol shooting. The rear is only slightly, very slightly "fuzzy", the front blade and the target (B-8 at 25 yards) are clear as day.

It does sound like this might be due to the scratches on the lenses. When I make shooting glasses for high power shooters who are going to be right up on the rear sight, I use a inexpensive lens without a bunch of bells and whistles so they can get multiple lenses and switch them out if they get scratched. This works really well if you have a frame that doesn't need to be heated to insert lenses or if you use knobloch style glasses.

I don't wear glasses. I have scratches on my lenses over the pupil. Damage from installing computer network cables in the office ceiling (fiberglass insulation) in 93. I've had the same squiggly lines in my vision (when focusing near on a white surface) the same shapes, the same locations (move only when I shift point of focus left to right, up or down) for more than 25 years. Corneal abrasion I think it's called.

I get the line without glasses when looking through a peep sight.

I wear progressive lenses and can no longer get a clear front sight looking out the top of the lens, which is my normal and trained shooting position. On a pistol I can rotate my head back to see the sight through the bottom section of the lens, but this is a very poor shooting position and negates over 30 years of training. It's also not an option on a long gun.

I have toyed with the idea of getting my right lens custom made so that there is a spot in the top left corner of the lens that will give me clear vision at arms length. I don't want a set of glasses for shooting and another for everyday. My philosophy is that I train so I can use my weapon is a real world encounter. Thus, the spot would be small and in a very specific place. The rest of the lens would be my normal progressive prescription.

Does this sound like something you can do?

This is exactly what I deal with. I end up with 1.5 reading glasses low on my nose. I can see fine for most things. But if I have to read something or do fine detail work I have to slide the glasses up.

My employer wants me to wear safety glasses. I just can’t find anything that works for me. If I have to I will either swap to a full reader lens glass just for working with a power tool for long enough to do something. Or wear two glasses at the same time. My readers and an oversized pair of safety glasses over them.

I would love to find a better solution

You actually have a ton of options. Lets exclude contacts from this discussion to avoid complicating the situation, although there are solutions to this where you could do a contact if you would like.
Best option for you is probably to get a pair of progressive lenses. Basically the top of the lens would have no Rx in them and as you go lower in the lens the focal point gets closer and closer.
2- A pair of bifocals where there is nothing up top and as soon as you cross the line in the lens you would be focused up close. Issue here is the up close is set at a single focal point and not variable.
3- An odd solution but I've done it before for people who can't adjust. Set the non-dominant eye to have a lens for up close and the other eye be distance. We do it a ton with contacts but rarely glasses due to bifocals and progressive lenses.
There are also some more complicated designs like Ben Franklin glasses but those are rarely used.

Back
Top Bottom