• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble seeing your sights? Chime in please!

I don't wear glasses. I have scratches on my lenses over the pupil. Damage from installing computer network cables in the office ceiling (fiberglass insulation) in 93. I've had the same squiggly lines in my vision (when focusing near on a white surface) the same shapes, the same locations (move only when I shift point of focus left to right, up or down) for more than 25 years. Corneal abrasion I think it's called.

It sounds like you are describing two different things, corneal aberration due to the accident and then secondly floaters would be those little squiggly lines. There are things that can be done about the corneal aberration but it's very dependent on if it's due to scarring or irregular surface topography. I fit a special contact called a scleral lens mainly for pts who have had RK sx or have Keratoconus. It really releves distortion and glare for these patients due to the irregular shape of their eye. If I had to guess I'd bet it's more scarring causing the issues for you than anything. But I'm going to look more into this line with a peep sight and see if I can find any other causes.

For those who notice the line, is it completely horizontal? Does it ever shift or move? And is it everytime you use a peep sight?

My dad just text me this:

"I just finished looking with open sights on my 9 mm glock and then with my muzzle loader. My right eye is worse. Have a little bit stronger prescription than for my left eye. Anyway with the rifle the target is clear and rear sight is fairly clear but front sight is blurry. But if I switch to left handed and left eye everything is a lot better , pretty clear
Astigmatism I believe.
With the glock both sights kinda blurry but again the target is clear. My eyesight is good at distances just not close up. But it’s easy to move pistol over a little and aim with my left eye. Hope all of this makes sense. Last year I wore my glasses one time when hunting with muzzle loader cause can see the sights lot better."

I wear progressive lenses and can no longer get a clear front sight looking out the top of the lens, which is my normal and trained shooting position. On a pistol I can rotate my head back to see the sight through the bottom section of the lens, but this is a very poor shooting position and negates over 30 years of training. It's also not an option on a long gun.

I have toyed with the idea of getting my right lens custom made so that there is a spot in the top left corner of the lens that will give me clear vision at arms length. I don't want a set of glasses for shooting and another for everyday. My philosophy is that I train so I can use my weapon is a real world encounter. Thus, the spot would be small and in a very specific place. The rest of the lens would be my normal progressive prescription.

Does this sound like something you can do?

Having a reading dot up top is something that's done for golfers a decent amount. But it can only be done with a single vision lens. Progressive lenses are so complicated in design that there are no labs currently able to do this. I've tried to get them to make me one like this before.
I'll shoot you a pm and let you know what I think your best options would be.

It sounds like you are describing two different things, corneal aberration due to the accident and then secondly floaters would be those little squiggly lines. There are things that can be done about the corneal aberration but it's very dependent on if it's due to scarring or irregular surface topography. I fit a special contact called a scleral lens mainly for pts who have had RK sx or have Keratoconus. It really releves distortion and glare for these patients due to the irregular shape of their eye. If I had to guess I'd bet it's more scarring causing the issues for you than anything. But I'm going to look more into this line with a peep sight and see if I can find any other causes.

For those who notice the line, is it completely horizontal? Does it ever shift or move? And is it everytime you use a peep sight?

For me it is slightly banked right from horizontal. And just below the middle. Present all the time with a peep sight.

Having a reading dot up top is something that's done for golfers a decent amount. But it can only be done with a single vision lens. Progressive lenses are so complicated in design that there are no labs currently able to do this. I've tried to get them to make me one like this before.
I'll shoot you a pm and let you know what I think your best options would be.
Thanks. Would it work with classic bifocals?

My dad just text me this:

"I just finished looking with open sights on my 9 mm glock and then with my muzzle loader. My right eye is worse. Have a little bit stronger prescription than for my left eye. Anyway with the rifle the target is clear and rear sight is fairly clear but front sight is blurry. But if I switch to left handed and left eye everything is a lot better , pretty clear
Astigmatism I believe.
With the glock both sights kinda blurry but again the target is clear. My eyesight is good at distances just not close up. But it’s easy to move pistol over a little and aim with my left eye. Hope all of this makes sense. Last year I wore my glasses one time when hunting with muzzle loader cause can see the sights lot better."

Thanks for the info!

In progressive lenses now. A compound bow is done with a peep sight. I can either see the target or the sight. Switched to a cross bow because of this. Marietta eye said this year I may be a candidate for cataract surgery..open for a solution..and with progressives the new led road signs are blurry til I get close.

I haven't been told that I have floaters, even after a thorough exam. It's been my understanding (perhaps wrongly) that floaters would eventually 'settle', is that wrong? Would you have floaters causing the exact same grey lines (squiggly) in your vision? Maybe I should go back to the eye doctor.

Back
Top Bottom