• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble seeing your sights? Chime in please!

I'm an eye doctor in northwest GA. I've also done my fair share of shooting competitions from highpower, 3 and 2 gun matches, steel challenge, uspsa, ect. Of course while attending these events there is always someone talking about how they can't focus on their front sight. I've been experimenting around with fixing these issues and think I've gotten it down pretty well.

Appreciate you coming on here and offering your experience and expertise! I'm curious, are you an Opthalmologist, Optometrist or Optician?

I'm in kind of an unusual situation myself, as I turned 60 earlier this year, but am near-sighted--I still see stuff inside arm's-length BETTER without my Glasses, either Near OR Far correction, than I do WITH my Glasses...My guess is that my Near Correction is no longer "Optimum" for close-up, as the RX isn't exactly "New"...FWIW, I am able to see Pistol Sights just fine using the Distance portion of my Bifocals...

I haven't been told that I have floaters, even after a thorough exam. It's been my understanding (perhaps wrongly) that floaters would eventually 'settle', is that wrong? Would you have floaters causing the exact same grey lines (squiggly) in your vision? Maybe I should go back to the eye doctor.

My floaters are unrelated to the crack. First noticed after some severe negative Gs, never went away. Real easy to see them against a clear blue sky. Floaters predate the crack by more than 20 years.

In progressive lenses now. A compound bow is done with a peep sight. I can either see the target or the sight. Switched to a cross bow because of this. Marietta eye said this year I may be a candidate for cataract surgery..open for a solution..and with progressives the new led road signs are blurry til I get close.

Without knowing more about the situation it is difficult to determine what the main issue might be here. I do want to address one thing and that is the eye can only be truely focused at one point. While most of the time in shooting guns or bows this means the front sight should be in focus. The focal point from the front sight to the target isn't a large amount but enough to cause it to be slightly blurred.
It does sound like the cataracts are causing a substantial issue and I'd guess most of that will get better once you have had them removed.

I haven't been told that I have floaters, even after a thorough exam. It's been my understanding (perhaps wrongly) that floaters would eventually 'settle', is that wrong? Would you have floaters causing the exact same grey lines (squiggly) in your vision? Maybe I should go back to the eye doctor.

Everyone has floaters, some people notice them some poeple don't , some are worse then others. We typically don't mention floaters to a patient unless they bring up a reason to talk about them. It's something we see with everyone and unless there's a issue it's not worth addressing.
Floaters are essentially reminants and opacities left in the vitreous "jelly inside they eye" from development as a fetus. The vitreous is thick while we are young but as we age becomes more liquid. This causes pockets of fluid to form in the vitreous causing more floaters. The vitreous is attached to the back of the eye "retina" and will eventually pull loose causing lots of floaters. These floaters are typically darker and more prominent. Honestly some floaters do settle over time, some don't, just depends on the person. Nothing really to be done about it.
For me personally I only notice my floaters under certain lighting.

Appreciate you coming on here and offering your experience and expertise! I'm curious, are you an Opthalmologist, Optometrist or Optician?

I'm in kind of an unusual situation myself, as I turned 60 earlier this year, but am near-sighted--I still see stuff inside arm's-length BETTER without my Glasses, either Near OR Far correction, than I do WITH my Glasses...My guess is that my Near Correction is no longer "Optimum" for close-up, as the RX isn't exactly "New"...FWIW, I am able to see Pistol Sights just fine using the Distance portion of my Bifocals...

I am an optometrist, I'm sure there will be people who do not know the difference so I'll break the differences down.
An optometrist is a doctor of optometry, we treat diseases of the eye, Rx medications, check and measure patients for glasses and contacts, in GA I can do injections around the eye and into certain areas of the eye. In other states I would be able to do minor surgery around the eye and use lasers. There are residences available for students who wish to specialize in certain areas.
An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who has completed a residency for ophthalmology and can legally do all of the same stuff but can also preform more complicated surgery on the eye. Most are general ophthalmologist and do refractive sx and cataract sx. They can specialize also and can be allowed to do more complex sx involving the retina and ect. For the most part ophthalmologist do not typically fit glasses or contacts and will refer them to an optometrist who has had more training towards that kind of stuff.
An optician is not a doctor but has specialized training in lenses and optics. They are a great asset to help determine what style lens a patient might do best in and such. There are many many different designs when it comes to lenses especially progressives.
Basically optometrist is the primary care for the eyes, ophthalmology is the surgeon for the eyes and the optician is the nurse who's going to make sure your getting exactly what you need.

Sounds like your Rx might be a tad off. Also sound like your bifocals are going to make a good pair of shooting glasses.

Everyone has floaters, some people notice them some poeple don't , some are worse then others. We typically don't mention floaters to a patient unless they bring up a reason to talk about them. It's something we see with everyone and unless there's a issue it's not worth addressing.
Floaters are essentially reminants and opacities left in the vitreous "jelly inside they eye" from development as a fetus. The vitreous is thick while we are young but as we age becomes more liquid. This causes pockets of fluid to form in the vitreous causing more floaters. The vitreous is attached to the back of the eye "retina" and will eventually pull loose causing lots of floaters. These floaters are typically darker and more prominent. Honestly some floaters do settle over time, some don't, just depends on the person. Nothing really to be done about it.
For me personally I only notice my floaters under certain lighting.

Would a floater appear as a "spot" or curly line?

I have trouble with suppressor blowback tossing debris into my eyes . I feel like a sissy when I wear eye protection. Please help.

Well I'll tell you right now that I've seen tons of people who only have one eye because they didn't wear safety glasses. You look like a big sissy when you only got one eye that works. In all seriousness if it bothers you invest in some cool Oakley's or something. There are plenty of cool safety glasses. Also get a suppressor with less blow back, my preference is the liberty mystic haha

Back
Top Bottom