• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble seeing your sights? Chime in please!

Got some more info from my dad. He said the crosshairs in a scope lean to the left a little with glasses on (right eye astigmatism) and that contacts correct this. He says the contacts help his astigmatism better than the glasses, but everyday activities like watching tv, driving, or walking around the yard are good with both contacts and glasses.
Hmm that's interesting, does he feel like the glasses are getting tilted at all while looking through the scope?

Hmm that's interesting, does he feel like the glasses are getting tilted at all while looking through the scope?

He said it's not the glasses tilting, he's noticed it for a few years now, and it only happens when looking through a scope. The horizontal crosshair stays level (normal) but the perpendicular crosshair leans badly to the left, which he's been told is astigmatism when things tend to lean.

He said it's not the glasses tilting, he's noticed it for a few years now, and it only happens when looking through a scope. The horizontal crosshair stays level (normal) but the perpendicular crosshair leans badly to the left, which he's been told is astigmatism when things tend to lean.

Hmm that is interesting, I suppose the astigmatism could be the culprit depending what axis the astigmatism is on. Is it a single vision lens or a progressive or bifocal? Very important to know if there's a line for the bifocal or no line.

This is an area I have been struggling with for years now. I have been toying with different glasses trying to find the right combo so I can see the front sights clearly along with the targets.
I am near sighted and normally ware progressive lenses. This works great in my day to day activities but not when shooing a pistol. I have tried mono-vision for reading and intermediate vision with limited success. I actually shoot best with a pair of my old glasses where everything is slightly blurred, lol.
If I try to ware my progressive lenses I have to tilt my head back so far I get a creek in my neck. Then by the time I get into shooting I find i have dropped my head and then I lose focus of the front sights.
By the way I am 62.
Any relief for this issue?

This is an area I have been struggling with for years now. I have been toying with different glasses trying to find the right combo so I can see the front sights clearly along with the targets.
I am near sighted and normally ware progressive lenses. This works great in my day to day activities but not when shooing a pistol. I have tried mono-vision for reading and intermediate vision with limited success. I actually shoot best with a pair of my old glasses where everything is slightly blurred, lol.
If I try to ware my progressive lenses I have to tilt my head back so far I get a creek in my neck. Then by the time I get into shooting I find i have dropped my head and then I lose focus of the front sights.
By the way I am 62.
Any relief for this issue?

Yeah I'll shoot you a pm with what I think would be best for you. There are a ton of people with this issue.

I don't like a pistol rear aperture with no markings. I am not really a fan of an all black rear sight with the tru glo front sight. It takes me longer to line up. I like a 3 dot system. I am accurate with the gun it just takes longer to acquire my sight picture.

With my left eye, I can see clearly from the tip of my nose to about 24 inches away. However my right eye sees clearly from about 18 inches to infinity. So, if i shoot left-handed, i can see the iron sights, but not the target. if I shoot right handed, I can't see the iron sights, but the target is clear. I can bird hunt with a shotgun, shoot a rifle with a scope, or a pistol with a red-dot. However, I can't use iron sights for sh*t...

This is exactly what I deal with. I end up with 1.5 reading glasses low on my nose. I can see fine for most things. But if I have to read something or do fine detail work I have to slide the glasses up.

My employer wants me to wear safety glasses. I just can’t find anything that works for me. If I have to I will either swap to a full reader lens glass just for working with a power tool for long enough to do something. Or wear two glasses at the same time. My readers and an oversized pair of safety glasses over them.

I would love to find a better solution

CDNN and search glasses. I used a pair of Radians 1.25 diopter safety glasses for a while. Just have to get used to the magnifier. Run about $6 + shipping, so put with order.

Back
Top Bottom