• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble seeing your sights? Chime in please!

Hood886 Hood886 , what do you know about prelex? I'm getting evaluated tomorrow since my eyes are getting worse. Currently don't wear glasses (probably need them); but my eyes give me fits a lot of the time. 1.25 reading glasses, and one eye sees better close and the other better far off.

You mind if I ask your age? Basically prelex is cataract surgery and instead of a single vision lens they give you a lens that is supposed to let you see up close also. Honestly I have not been impressed with any of the multifocal lens implants and if I was having cataract surgery I'd just go for a standard lens or lens that also fixes astigmatism if you have a significant amount. The multifocal lenses are very patient dependent and will not give you vision like when you were 20. It might give you a little boost up close but probably not enough. I personally wouldn't pay the extra for it. You might be more interested in a mono vision set up where one eye is set at distance and the other up close. Sounds like that's how you have been and might prefer to stay that way.

I went to see TheEyeDoctor today Hood886 Hood886 , great guy. He got me squared away with my annual exam, regular prescription, and a specialized prescription for rifle shooting. Front sight will be crystal clear now. I brought in my M1A and he set lenses between my eye and the rear sight to determine the exact lens power. He really understands what you need to focus on for shooting, I highly recommend him, his office and staff, all very friendly. :cheer2:

I went to see TheEyeDoctor today Hood886 Hood886 , great guy. He got me squared away with my annual exam, regular prescription, and a specialized prescription for rifle shooting. Front sight will be crystal clear now. I brought in my M1A and he set lenses between my eye and the rear sight to determine the exact lens power. He really understands what you need to focus on for shooting, I highly recommend him, his office and staff,
all very friendly. :cheer2:

Any Doc and his staff that feel comfortable with letting an ODT’er with an M1A in their office, is our kinda group...!

I had lasik done Monday morning on second try on my left eye (right is still 20/2). Still can't see very clear in that eye and hoping it will start clearing up Tuesday. I was told to expect this; but it still is no fun. Anyone who has had it done, feel free to chime in.

Yeah that's pretty much standard. I highly doubt it'll be clear by Tuesday. I'd give it 2 weeks to a month before I'd truely expect it to be clear.

I had lasik done Monday morning on second try on my left eye (right is still 20/2). Still can't see very clear in that eye and hoping it will start clearing up Tuesday. I was told to expect this; but it still is no fun. Anyone who has had it done, feel free to chime in.

Yeah that's pretty much standard. I highly doubt it'll be clear by Tuesday. I'd give it 2 weeks to a month before I'd truely expect it to be clear.

Well that will suck if it takes that long. I guess I'll find out more this morning after my follow up appt. Thanks for the heads up.

This is an area I have been struggling with for years now. I have been toying with different glasses trying to find the right combo so I can see the front sights clearly along with the targets.
I am near sighted and normally ware progressive lenses. This works great in my day to day activities but not when shooing a pistol. I have tried mono-vision for reading and intermediate vision with limited success. I actually shoot best with a pair of my old glasses where everything is slightly blurred, lol.
If I try to ware my progressive lenses I have to tilt my head back so far I get a creek in my neck. Then by the time I get into shooting I find i have dropped my head and then I lose focus of the front sights.
By the way I am 62.
Any relief for this issue?

This describes my frustration at the range exactly - I'm in for the suggestion as well. A PM would be much appreciated. Great thread. Thanks for posting!!

Dr Hood fixed my up and his whole office at Brookstone has been a joy to work with.
He determined my shooting eye prescription for my M1A rifle front sight(approx 22") and ordered my a box of disposable contacts. I have used them in 4-5 matches so far and just throw them out when match is over.
I also did my annual exam and got some prescription sunglasses. Highly recommended! A++++++

Back
Top Bottom