• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble with a Jeep ZJ 42RE need suggestions

Well I just figured out why my recently purchased used transmission wasn't shifting. Apparently the place I purchased it from (Givens in Lawrenceville) stored it outside in the rain and mud, because it was absolutely full of it when I dropped the pan to check the governor solenoid. So they just wasted a bunch of my time and money, and are only willing to give me a different trans if I take this one out and bring it back to them. They won't refund my purchase at all, even though the receipt says nothing about no cash refunds on their 30 day warranty.
They even accused me of not dropping the pan and changing the filter before I installed it. ****ing a**holes. I put a new pan on it, a new filter in it, and flushed the cooler when I installed it. It apparently made its way in through the rear at the transfer case connection and had settled in there real good while it was being stored.

Didn't know that at the time, but I certainly do now. I'd have made out better going to pull a part and just taking my chances for $100. I paid almost $500 at Givens, and I really doubt they do anything more than pull items. Pretty sure they have no idea if they actually work when they pull them. Ugh.

Well, spent the rest of the afternoon taking everything apart, governor, valve body, etc. Cleaned out everything down to using qtips. Put in an upgraded solenoid and new filter, fluid (flushed it as well,) and she's rocking and rolling again!

Back
Top Bottom