• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Truck Gun...

So if you're going to a state where 'high capacity' mags aren't legal do you leave the 30 round mags at home each time?
Can you bring an AR into CA that doesn't have a bullet button?
Yes, it has to be featureless thought. Which means no flashhider/threaded muzzle, collapsable stock, or pistol grip. An easy way about this is to just get a kydex wrap for the pistol grip. Slip it on in state, slip it off out of the state. AR pistols after this year are completely off limits there. Just something to consider if you travel there a lot OP.

Yes, it has to be featureless thought. Which means no flashhider/threaded muzzle, collapsable stock, or pistol grip. An easy way about this is to just get a kydex wrap for the pistol grip. Slip it on in state, slip it off out of the state. AR pistols after this year are completely off limits there. Just something to consider if you travel there a lot OP.

I definitely do keep it in mind!, never take things like this lightly..just like I don't take being caught without protection lightly. I will say that when I am in Cali my weapons spend most of the time under lock and key in my truck box but except for when my pistol is on my side...

Colt 6720 just purchased slightly less than $750 out the door. $100 used Burris AR332 optic sight and 77 grain Nosler Competition BTHP blems, mixed brass, CCI 41 primers, BR 8208 powder @ 200 yards. Ignore the .30 cal holes I was playing with the M1A at the end of the day.

I feel perfectly at home with this carbine, it's cheap, easy to operate, reminds me of my issue rifle and although I'm not a huge fan of optics, I like the Burris fine.

clyde_armory_colt_ar6720.jpg

Stock photo above, with MBUIS

Target today at 200 during zeroing (7 rds - SR target 10 ring is 7" dia) :

20161226_161140-1.jpg

Idk, when I think of truck gun, I want something compact and maneuverable. To me a ar is nice to have but a bit big to me unless it's a short short barrel

Idk, when I think of truck gun, I want something compact and maneuverable. To me a ar is nice to have but a bit big to me unless it's a short short barrel

They take down w 2 pins very quickly and assemble the same way. If you need one quicker than it takes to slap together you are screwed anyway.

If you are trying to manipulate it while driving you are doubly screwed.

JMHO

I opt for a foldable Rifle that uses the same mag & ammo as my Pistol, the Sub 2K from Kel Tech fits the bill perfectly, the 40 cal I have will hit a paper plate at 200 yards and although not a high caliber 556 or 308, would get me out of most situations a pistol might not. And if stolen, I have only lost a $400 gun not a more expensive AR, I also do a trick to mine that if it is stolen and some thug fires it, kaboom.
all and ammo/mags fit into a shoulder bag for carrying, or nicely in the seat springs for hiding.
1.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

I don't have a specific brand or model, but I think a 5.56 or 7.62 x39 "bullpup" design may be appropriate here.
The shortest possible package, but giving true carbine/ long gun performance out to a few hundred yards.

Second choice: The folding Kel-Tec carbine. No optics (if you put a scope on it, it won't fold in half anymore). But the long sight radius should give you twice the effective range of a handgun. Keep a normal 15 or 17 round mag in it (where legal to travel with a loaded long gun in a car). Have a 33 round spare mag next to it.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION:

As others have said, "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" may be illegal in some of the states you visit.
Your GLock 19 may be excepted from some laws, especially if you buy a 10-round mag for it.
However, even IF your Glock is illegal under some state's laws, it may be LESS LIKELY TO BE DISCOVERED than a long gun that you keep i your vehicle.

Under the 4th Amendment and the many court cases applying it, the courts have routinely found that people have a high degree of privacy associated with what's on their person and in their pockets, but a low expectation of privacy in things they transport in a vehicle on the roads.

So, maybe what you should choose for an emergency bug-out long gun should be a "sporting" looking gun, that doesn't make liberals pee themelves. A gun that fits with quaint notions of peaceful and compliant American citizens enjoying the right to hunt wabbits and dux.
A lever-action rifle fits this role, and has this image. But the .30-30 Winchester is a powerful round, between the 7.62 x 39 and the .308 in stopping power. If you want more ammo capacity, you can get a lever gun in a pistol caliber like .44 mag/ .44 special. Those can hold 10 rounds, and they'll be effective to a couple hundred yards.

Even a plain wood-stocked and blued-steel Ruger Mini-14, Mini-30, or Ranch Rifle, with a 10-round magazine, offers a lot of firepower without triggering "OMG, it's an Assault Rifle" reaction in people.

For what it's worth, my vehicle's long gun is either an SKS with the standard wood stock and 10-round top-loading magazine (and a red dot sight clamped on the barrel), OR a pump-action shotgun. I don't really care about how compact it is. If I have to pull over and open the trunk and get the weapon out, the S. has already H. the Fan and I'm going to be carrying it in my hands, ready for use.

But, since you'll be carrying it daily between your vehicle and your hotel / motel room, I can see where size would matter a lot for you.
So maybe an "assault weapon" with a folding or telescoping stock really IS the best option.

Back
Top Bottom