• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Truck Gun...

Drawback to the pistol caliber is lack of penetration, especially if someone is using a vehicle for cover.

Pretty sure that'll be the case no matter what you use if they are doing it right (behind the block or wheels). One of the bonded 9mm will probably go through the plastic/ sheet metal on most cars today. But you're right that you are trading a few factors off to get the common mags/ammo, concealment and light weight.

My gut feel is that if you're in a 'get home' situation, slugging it out with someone who's taken cover isn't the best option. Personally I'd just be lobbing a few shots in their direction so they keep their heads down while I get out of Dodge and find another route.

I know you tend to train LE/military, where bugging out isn't an option...But for us civvies in a get-home scenario, the Monty Python plan of confusing them by running away more is always on the table.

Pretty sure that'll be the case no matter what you use if they are doing it right (behind the block or wheels). One of the bonded 9mm will probably go through the plastic/ sheet metal on most cars today. But you're right that you are trading a few factors off to get the common mags/ammo, concealment and light weight.

My gut feel is that if you're in a 'get home' situation, slugging it out with someone who's taken cover isn't the best option. Personally I'd just be lobbing a few shots in their direction so they keep their heads down while I get out of Dodge and find another route.

I know you tend to train LE/military, where bugging out isn't an option...But for us civvies in a get-home scenario, the Monty Python plan of confusing them by running away more is always on the table.

Nope, I train way more civilians than I do LE/military.

Don't stage all your gear towards your one and only plan, because the fight will rarely be what you want it to be. Bugging out ain't an option if you're pinned down. Plan for multiple scenarios and gear up accordingly, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Don't stage all your gear towards your one and only plan, because the fight will rarely be what you want it to be. Bugging out ain't an option if you're pinned down. Plan for multiple scenarios and gear up accordingly, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Are you one of those guys who tell me that a plan is just a list of **** that doesn't happen the way you want it to?

I had a military pilot friend of mine tell me that one of the worst things you can do in an intense situation is to "fall in love with your own plan". I'm of the school of thought that you need to have a plan but you also need to be flexible...

Makes sense, but I was simply thinking about the scenario the OP mentioned originally... Something small and light that could be easily moved between the truck and a motel every night without being observed, and the could extend beyond the range and capacity of his existing firearm.

That doesn't have the earmarks of a good firefight gun. So while I agree 100% you can't always pick your battles, you'ld probably want to do everything you can to avoid being pinned down and trying to take on an ensconced attacker with a 9mm carbine.

Makes sense, but I was simply thinking about the scenario the OP mentioned originally... Something small and light that could be easily moved between the truck and a motel every night without being observed, and the could extend beyond the range and capacity of his existing firearm.

That doesn't have the earmarks of a good firefight gun. So while I agree 100% you can't always pick your battles, you'ld probably want to do everything you can to avoid being pinned down and trying to take on an ensconced attacker with a 9mm carbine.
What if you're an ensconced defender?

It's a choice everyone has to make, but they should do it with realistic views of what could happen. I say this as a person that is about to make a 9mm carbine my truck gun, but I'm doing it with a clear understanding of the tactical disadvantages that will give me. The pluses simply outweigh the minuses for me.

Sub 2000. My model uses G17 mags, that I can use in G19, but not the other way around. Easy to unfold, adjustible buttstock. I have seen an aftermarket forend that swivels around and alows you to fold gun in half, and have a red dot on top still.
Load up with bonded 147 gr ammo, and extra barrel length with a heavy bullet will make a short work of anything, but an engine block.

IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG
Sub 2000. My model uses G17 mags, that I can use in G19, but not the other way around. Easy to unfold, adjustible buttstock. I have seen an aftermarket forend that swivels around and alows you to fold gun in half, and have a red dot on top still.
Load up with bonded 147 gr ammo, and extra barrel length with a heavy bullet will make a short work of anything, but an engine block.

Yea that's the Red Lion hand guard and I did that with a Burris red dot on top.
I've shot it in 3 gun matches when we shoot it on the pistol bays and it's a hoot.
Stick the big Glock mag in it and it's a heck of a setup, it was just kind of expensive....

Fits in a small backpack though....

Amazingly accurate at 50 yards you can shoot the bull out of the target, it reminds me of those BB machine guns at the fair, lol. It's a fun gun.

Just putting this out here....9mm 147 Gr Hornady rounds were clocked at 1170 FPS out of a Sub 2000. That's actually slower than 147 Gr rounds out of service model sized .357 Sig handgun which usually clock around 1225-1250 FPS.

Too bad they don't make a Sub 2000 in .357 Sig.

Just putting this out here....147 Gr Hornady rounds were clocked at 1170 FPS out of a Sub 2000. That's actually slower than 147 Gr rounds out of service model sized .357 Sig handgun which usually clock around 1225-1250 FPS.

Too bad they don't make a Sub 2000 in .357 Sig.

I wish, those 147 gr bullets take up a lot of space in the little 9mm case. For a perfect defensive round that will cause trauma and go through barriers, I'd use either of these bullets.

Back
Top Bottom