• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Truck knife

I'm not a knife guy. I don't know how knives are built, or how to tell a good design from a crap design.

For a "hunting truck" or "hunting backpack" multipurpose big knife for survival, what do y'all think of what is marketed as the "U.S. Air Force survival knife?" A big fixed-blade knife with a round leather-wrapped handle, a saw back, and the scabbard has a pouch for a small sharpening stone (supplied).

Note: This isn't the one with a screw-off butt cap that has a hollow storage compartment in the handle. This handle is solid metal. But, what I don't know is if it's the same integral metal as the blade, or if these are two different metal parts screwed together or spot-welded together (or, these days, even *gasp* glued together).

USAF_Pilot_Survival_Knife_copy_300x300__05733.1405379605.jpg

Old thread but it deserves a new bump. I keep a full size case knife as I dont get very far off the beaten path much anymore. Back in the day, I kept a full size buck and a cold steel brush cutter in the truck all the time. For the weekends I would add an Estwing camp axe that saved my ass more than once.

I keep an Old Timer Bowie underneath my back seat, along with a Cold Steel Kukri. Neither are expensive but make decent tools when some quick chopping or hacking needs doing around the camp...Or if needed to hack on an attacker, but I have guns for that.

I sometimes keep a double bit axe in the back floor board of my truck.

Back
Top Bottom