• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

True Velocity Inc.

210   0
Reaction score
Just read an article in G & A about this company. They are producing polymer case ammunition, I had no idea. The article is pretty good. It seems there is a big advantage to the polymer over brass, lighter in weight and generates very little heat in the chamber. It was tested according to Mil Specs from rifle/carbines, belt fed .30 cal. , .50 cal. and run through Dillon mini-guns , all with no problems. Sounds impressive to me. Just wondering if anyone else read this and their thoughts ?

I bought one box of white plastic-cased .223 rifle ammo back in the 1990s.
I do not recall the brand name, but I know that the shell case was plastic for 90% of its length, and the plastic was molded to a brass case head so the extractor would grab a metal rim.

I shot these rounds through a Mini 14 and the bolt-action Remington 700. They worked fine.

But, again, my test only consisted of shooting 20 rounds at empty cans and bottles from about 50 yards.

They say polymer cased ammo cannot be used in fluted- chamber rifles, as it can blow up the magazine well area of the frames.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/25/pcp-polymer-cased-ammo-warning/

Another internet write up from the early 2000s reports case necks cracking, breaking off in the gun, and even disabling the weapon by leaving a chunk of plastic wedged in the chamber after extraction.

**** If they ever perfect the design of plastic-cased ammo...***
...I think the best market for this type of ammunition would be in small to medium handgun calibers to be used in compact lightweight pistols that people carry on their body daily. Especially if the ammo features an unusually light bullet, too (but driven to remarkably high velocity).

I have seen .38 special revolver ammo over the years that was like that. Note that an extractor is not used in a revolver so the problem of ripping of the end of the case is not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom