• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trump EO Cancels Student Loan Debt for Disabled Veterans

They terminated the GI bill just before I enlisted and replaced it with something like a 401K that would pay for two years of community college.
Then the Middle East wars kicked in and the GI Bill was back.
I was a peacetime (Coldwar) vet who saw people get hurt on duty through no fault of their own. Those folks should have gotten some assistance with tuition when they were medically discharged. I'm sure most of them did.

A person who enlisted for whatever reason during a shooting war like the one we've been in for the last 20 years should have access to these benefits because they're essentially writing a blank check with their lives to the government. Cooks don't fight, but they do get killed when someone decides to mortar the base for the lulz. Truck drivers aren't expected to fight but they end up getting ambushed. Air Force cops are usually safely in the rear with the gear but they're being used to protect convoys that get ambushed.

I know a guy who joined the Marines and his military occupation is "Printer". He's a Marine who prints stuff. He'll never see combat. Is he less of a Marine because of his occupation ? Should he not wear the Bro-Vet t-shirts with the skulls carrying knives in their teeth? He's still a Marine. If he gets injured as a POG he's still going to be a Marine no matter what the circumstances are. If he's disabled because a printer fell on him through no fault of his own or if he's disabled because he fell off the printer while photocopying his ass I don't see any difference. He (and all of the vets in the other services) signed up for a job that could potentially take them into harms way and therefore any injury while they are enlisted should be good enough for them to get the educational benefits that the Defense Department is offering.

I served 1980-1988 and had that crap, it was called VEAP. Gov contributed $1 for every $2 you put in of your own pay.

OTOH, the Army paid 100% of my tuition and (IIRC) 80% of books while I attended on active duty. I think that was an NCO deal. Long time ago for accurate recollection of all the details.

My younger brother was medically discharged from the Corp in the 80's and was entitled to full edu benefits.

President Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday that forgives all student loan debt for any permanently disabled U.S. military veterans.

The order, which Trump signed following a speech at the American Veterans National Convention in Louisville, Ky., also clears those eligible veterans from having to pay any federal income tax on the loans. Trump added that he is pressuring individual states to follow suit.

Fox News

Good for him, I love that he is helping Those that helped Defend OUR COUNTRY!

Back
Top Bottom