• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trust or No Trust

I'm ignorant when it comes to NFA items, but please clarify. What do you guys mean when LE sign off is no longer required after July? Thanks in advance!

Currently, as an individual, you have to get your chief LE officer to sign off. After July, this will be added as a requirement through a Trust, but you no longer will have to get them to sign off, you will just have to notify them.....I'm not sure the protocol for notification though.....

Currently, as an individual, you have to get your chief LE officer to sign off. After July, this will be added as a requirement through a Trust, but you no longer will have to get them to sign off, you will just have to notify them.....I'm not sure the protocol for notification though.....
Still confused....:confused:

Still confused....:confused:

Currently if don't go the Trust (or other legal entity route), your other option is to get fingerprinted and get the local CLEO (about 10 or so different positions) to sign the OK for you to submit a form to the ATF for approval.

After the July date, that requirement for a CLEO OK is going away. No matter which route (Trust or CLEO), you get fingerprinted, background checked, and have to just notify the CLEO. The CLEO OK is no longer required.

Currently if don't go the Trust (or other legal entity route), your other option is to get fingerprinted and get the local CLEO (about 10 or so different positions) to sign the OK for you to submit a form to the ATF for approval.

After the July date, that requirement for a CLEO OK is going away. No matter which route (Trust or CLEO), you get fingerprinted, background checked, and have to just notify the CLEO. The CLEO OK is no longer required.
AHHH, thank you sir!

Does the notification of CLEO require a form or email of some sort?

In the past a buyer had to have a local , county or state law enforcement officer sign off on your form 4 application. That is no longer required.
I am currently in the process of acquiring my second suppressor and have a trust. What I found out through my local gun shop is that I can add or in my case remove trustees from my trust w/o any difficulty. They provided me the form to fill out sign and send in with my trust on the second suppressor.
It was one of those situations where I had my son and eldest grandson on my trust. Both of which are currently tied up from being printed. My grandson is in Children's hospital in St. Louis awaiting a heart transplant and obviously both parents are there to be with him.
It was nice to read all the replies you received. I was pleased to learn that my spouse would have a way to take owner ship in the event of my demise.
Happy New Year to all my fellow ODT'ers

Back
Top Bottom