• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trying Container Gardening This Year

napp

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
I have decided that I am too old and too tired to dig in the Georgia clay anymore. I am trying to grow some of my favorite things in containers this year. I guess it would be stretching things to call it a garden; but here is what I have planted in containers. One Patio tomato, one Better Bush tomato, one Amelia tomato, one Jalapeno pepper, one Green Bell pepper, and one Boston Pickling Cucumber. I have planted all of these in self watering containers made from Lowe's 5 gallon buckets.
Additionally I have planted a Tabasco Pepper, a Thai Hot Chili, some Rosemary, some Parsley, and some Basil. I will have to keep these watered the old fashioned way. I've never tried container gardening before; so I am sure it will be learning experience .

Container tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers.jpg
container peppers and herbs 2018.jpg

I also grow my tomatoes in 5 gal buckets and have not had a problem with the wilt since I started. Every year I change out the soil mix and put it in my other raised beds. Good luck and hope you have a bountiful harvest.

I also grow my tomatoes in 5 gal buckets and have not had a problem with the wilt since I started. Every year I change out the soil mix and put it in my other raised beds. Good luck and hope you have a bountiful harvest.
What sort of fertilizer routine do you use? I started with Miracle Grow potting mix as my planting medium. Planted one week ago; and haven't added anything yet.

What do you guys use for soil? I'm looking at Square Foot gardening on my southern-exposure deck, but need to figure out what will go in the planters.

What do you guys use for soil? I'm looking at Square Foot gardening on my southern-exposure deck, but need to figure out what will go in the planters.

Everything I read said to use Potting Mix...not soil...Mix. It's supposed to retain moisture better without compacting.

Good start! To lower the maintenance bury the buckets into the soil. The soil reduces the temperature and reduces the water evaporating from the grow bucket.

My containers aren't just normal buckets. Each container is two buckets stacked so that a water reservoir is formed at the bottom of the buckets. The idea is that the water will wick up into the growing medium. I made them from this video.

What sort of fertilizer routine do you use? I started with Miracle Grow potting mix as my planting medium. Planted one week ago; and haven't added anything yet.
I use Miiracle Grow Potting mix for containers and mix in about a 1/3 of mushroom compost in a wheel barrow before putting it in the buckets. I save my egg shells and crush them up and add to the bucket for calcium which helps prevent blossom end rot. You can also use bone meal if you don't have egg shells.

I live in the mountains and planted broccoli, collards, potatoes and strawberries a couple of weeks ago but it will be another week or so before I can plant tomatoes, squash, beans etc. They are forecasting a light freeze on Wednesday so I'm not going to take a chance.

I used to grow tomato's on my back deck. I never had any problems other that having to water them a little more frequently due to what has been sad here before about the dirt getting more exposure to the heat. It helped keep the other critters out of them because it was close to the house and 10 feet off of the ground. I just used store bought top soil and water nothing else. I had more tomatos than I could eat. Make sure you keep the buckets off of the concrete. That sucks the moisture out of them quick. The 2 raised buckets should be fine

IMG_0880.JPG

I tried the buckets on the deck, but with the height of deck it gets to hot..Built an above ground with railroad ties, had it filled with a premium top soil off a farm..Have juiced it every year with Miracle Grow potting soil, lime, 10-10-10 and Peat moss. Gonna try to plant this week, wife has taken over that job. We are going to plant sweet potatoes last due, to soil needs to warm up more..Good luck with your adventure.

Back
Top Bottom