• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TSS turkey loads

What gauge? My 835 I used a carlson .683 and got great patterns. My 20 gauge I will be using a trulock .575 my mossberg 500 12ga I use a .665. Alot of it is in load too. Federal tss ammo is trash as far as quality and pattern quality. Some folks like it to be a lot tighter for extended range but a nice open forgiving pattern at 40 is what I look for.

What gauge? My 835 I used a carlson .683 and got great patterns. My 20 gauge I will be using a trulock .575 my mossberg 500 12ga I use a .665. Alot of it is in load too. Federal tss ammo is trash as far as quality and pattern quality. Some folks like it to be a lot tighter for extended range but a nice open forgiving pattern at 40 is what I look for.
It’s a 12 gauge 835. So the federals ain’t worth a ****?

It’s a 12 gauge 835. So the federals ain’t worth a ****?
They are not in my opinion. If I were to buy factory loaded ammo it would either be from foxtrot ammo or apex ammo. It's more expensive than the federal but the shot is more dense and of better quality, the components are of better quality, the pressures and velocities are a little bit higher resulting in better patterns. With the 835 I'd honestly stick with a 3" shell if shooting tss. I used the Carlson's longbeard choke (.683) and my 3" 2oz load #9 shot size and was throwing a basketball size pattern at 60 yards.

If you're willing to buy the stuff and load it yourself Hal Abbot sells a starter kit that has everything you'll need to load 10 shells except the gunpowder. If you go that route you'll need a roll crimp tool and either a drill press or drill. The tool is about $30 and the starter kit is $140. If you buy it and email him he will send you the load instructions and specs on it. I use 2 of his loads along with another 12 gauge load from a different shot supplier named Tommy.

Apex loads are pretty similar the loads I have, foxtrot would be identical, he is in partnership with Tommy.

I back off a bit and run a .668 Star Dot extended choke in my Mossberg 500A.
sambo77 sambo77 ‘s #8 and Apex #8 loads are deadly out of that setup.
It'll kill farther out than i care to fool with, I’d rather see a bird cross the 40 yard line.

I still have some testing to do in my 835….Im starting off with a .690 Primos Jellyhead (original one) and 2.5oz of 8’s or 9’s.

I'm using a 3" 20 gauge (Franchi Affinity 3 w/ Holosun 507C X2) shooting 1 5/8 oz load of #9's. I shoot a full, but not an extra full turkey choke. My constriction is .582.

Just switched to TSS and 20 gauge last year. I'd always used 3.5" 12 gauge with Hevi shot for the previous 20 years running extra full turkey chokes. The TSS in 20 is WAY more devastating than lead or hevi in 12. Plus the gun ways almost half of my 12 gauge pump I used for turkeys. Started rolling my own TSS this year.

Just ran some loads through the Stevens model 301 in .410 this morning. Choke is a Carlson’s TSS extended choke. I was running the factory choke last season.
The Carlson’s choke was a big improvement in this setup.

I like to pattern check on a 10” circle at 30 yards first, then move to 40 to see how well it holds up.

All three impacted a tad left of center.
•Federal #8 TSS was a vertical string with gaps. (Nope)
•Federal #9 TSS was a bit better but still not as uniform as I’d prefer. (Nope)
•Rogue #9.5 TSS was almost a 10” diameter, circular swarm of shot (Winner)
I have some #9.5 Verdict TSS coming in the mail and will post the results upon shooting it.
Will also be trying to get my hands on some Apex Ninja .410 loads too.
I’ll make the windage adjustment on my optic and run the Rouge if nothing else does better.

The 835 will be getting patterned tomorrow.
The attached picture is the Rogue 9.5’s from 30 yards.
716F977F-5EF7-4CFE-AB51-F623DDFF8ACC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom