• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TULA AMMO

I've never had a problem with it.

As far as it being dirty ammo, I think ALL ammo is dirty. I always clean my weapons after shooting them.
As far as the smell is concerned, my wife says that I occasionally stink, too.

Not all ammo is dirty. Some of my reload powder leaves very little carbon deposits. As far is ammo is concerned I believe that shooting accurately is the reason why we are suppose to be practicing in the first place. Using junk ammo defeats the purpose of shooting other than just hearing the gun go boom. We can only be as good as the ammo we use to practice with.

Great information, very thorough and well researched article. Thanks for posting.

Would the results be the same in AK platform rifles? Or are the tolerances different in AK pattern rifles and steel cased ammo is more acceptable ?

This is a good read on AK durability posted by a man who runs a range in Vegas that caters to tourists who pay to shoot machine guns. They only use steel cased bimetallic Russian ammo, Wolf I believe. The range distance is only 25 yards and the measuring stick for “worn out” is when the barrel begins to keyhole rounds at tha range. Some of the hammer forged chrome lined communist barrels go 100,000 rounds plus before they reach that standard. He states that he made a decision to stop using US made AKs because they failed (barrels, receivers, trunnions) well before what they were getting out of the communist variants. Of the true AK pattern rifles they use, the WASR barrels lead the pack in durability.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/AK-abuse-update-on-Page-11-/64-159106/

As far is ammo is concerned I believe that shooting accurately is the reason why we are suppose to be practicing in the first place. Using junk ammo defeats the purpose of shooting other than just hearing the gun go boom.
That’s a pretty narrow minded view of “practicing”. Almost all of the training I participate in and instruct is done at CQB distance and ranges inside of 100 meters. Any reliable ammo that consistently produces 4 MOA out of a carbine is more than adequate. M855, M193, Steel cased communist ammo all work fine in that role.

Lots a reasons to train/shoot beyond benched/glassed paper punching that demands sub 2 MOA ammo.

Dirty and not as reliable as most brass ammo. Nothing wrong with it for training use.

When a brass casing round is fired, the brass expands to fit and fill the chamber, then shrinks back down a bit. Steel casings will not do this, too stiff and strong. This allows burnt powder to flow back into the chamber and foul things up more than usual.

I see more dud primers in Russian steel case ammo than I do in most brass case ammo, so I don't recommend it for defensive use.

So if you value your time, or like a clean gun don't use it,
And on the other hand, if you enjoy cleaning guns, go for it!:thumb:

That’s a pretty narrow minded view of “practicing”. Almost all of the training I participate in and instruct is done at CQB distance and ranges inside of 100 meters. Any reliable ammo that consistently produces 4 MOA out of a carbine is more than adequate. M855, M193, Steel cased communist ammo all work fine in that role.

Lots a reasons to train/shoot beyond benched/glassed paper punching that demands sub 2 MOA ammo.
You have valid point. That doesn't take away from the fact it's crap ammo. You can't make a chicken salad out of chicken sh*t no matter how you cook the chicken.

Glocks and 1911s loves this stuff :)

ARs might hiccup on it when you use steel and brass in the same outing ,due to the carbon build up in the chamber ,causing the expanding brass cases to stick sometimes. I avoid shooting both in the same outing.

I generally buy ,or trade forr this stuff when it's a deal..

Not to mention the fact your giving money to the Russians. We stand up for our 2nd amendment rights everyday which is at the core of our freedom. Then some go out and spend millions on Russian made ammo that is injected right back into their economy or lack there of. For that reason I find it a little ridiculous that we do that and make no bones about it. That's what I call red neck politics.

If your guns can eat the stuff, stack it deep. If you get more ammo for your money buying the steel cased stuff, you have more to fire back when needed :cool:.

Back
Top Bottom