• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TULA AMMO

The AK ammo is gtg. The .223 stuff is pretty meh because it's underpowered and dirty. I avoid using steel case pistol ammo mainly because the cost savings isn't enough to justify buying it.

shoots great and I don't have to pick up the brass to reload. Smokey but so is my Unique powder reloads. Good value for the cost.

The only steel-cased stuff I run is 7.62x39mm. I do, however, have most of a case of factory Lapua 7.62x39mm, which is of course loaded in brass Lapua cases. Shiny.

The biggest problem I have with it is not everyone cleans their guns on a frequent basis so in that aspect it can effect reliability in a home defense situation. Then we have gone to just shooting crappy ammo to a situation of life or death. If you are going to shoot that stuff then clean your gun every time you get home from the range. Carbon build up is gong to be a major problem when using sub par ammo and can not go to or three long session of fire without a good cleaning at least every other time. That's the reason i preach on bad ammo. Your very life could hang in the balance of those who think that taking a gun to gunsmith once a year for cleaning is good enough. I hate to tell you that are you asking for a FTF or FTE . Not every is like me and other member that clean our guns every range trip no matter what ammo we use. A well cleaned and lubed gun is a adequate self defense weapon. A gun that has been shooting Tul Ammo all the time and has not been cleaned regularly and religiously is not. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Didn’t think about this much until had an experience the other day. In pistols, I’ve shot about 1000 rds of 9mm out of a Glock - dirty, some duds, but nothing crazy. I have two AR builds I’m testing to see which likes what Ammo and assess which rig I want to use in competition.

Carbine and mid length ate up freedom reman, aguila, and federal easily. Carbine cycles steel case (Tula) just fine, mid length I get failures to eject and go into battery. Avoiding steel case altogether.

I’ve seen the research and caveats from manufacturers about steel case. Unless it’s an ak, feed it brass.

Great information, very thorough and well researched article. Thanks for posting.

Would the results be the same in AK platform rifles? Or are the tolerances different in AK pattern rifles and steel cased ammo is more acceptable ?
AK rifles, most of them, have chrome plated barrels. What wears out the barrels is a soft metal jacket use in Russain ammo, not the steel case. Chrome is harder than steel and chrome plated barrels last longer. Add cold hammer forged on top, and they last even longer with steel jackets.

I shot a steel ar500 target at 1900 yards (that means 40 yards in the non-odt world, see previous threads) with tulammo 9mm. The jackets splattered but mostly held together. I don't mind it in a Glock barrel, but won't be chootin anymore at my steel torso.

Back
Top Bottom